Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #1 
sjones

Fin rot

I think betta I "rescued" from the petstore has fin rot on his ventral fins-they have long white pointy tips instead of fins and his other fins are a little singed looking (but not white) They are more wilted looking
I can't get a good picture though
but his ventrals are the worst
I'd also like to add his eyes have a strange white slash over both eyes in the same place, it is not general cloudiness or a white spot but more a transparent angled slash on both eyes.
His head is very grey.
He has a very clamped look to him, I see things on here like adding aquarium salt to his tank, is this enough to do ?

Last edited by sjones; 05-03-2010 at 12:37 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems and a pic would really help....
A few questions....

How big is the tank, filtration, how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one? any additives used, how long have you had the Betta?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #3 
sjones

Today I did a 100% water change as Clampy's tank was looking foggy and there was oil film on top. I did a 40% change two days ago, and I set up the tank 5 days ago (3 gallon critter keeper, no filter).
I researched this forum and for water changes I think it's best for me to do cold water as using hot or warm water would take water from my hot water heater tank which may have metals in it...I use Splendid Betta water conditioner, enough for 3 gallons of Portland Maine's finest city water.
It took a few hours to heat the water up to Clampy's water temp which dropped to 72 while he was out of the tank. I used a light and a space heater in the room.
Tank had been maintaining at 75 degrees with a hydor 7.5 watt heater, I'm not impressed by it, but bought 2 tetra and hydor whisper style mini heaters from both walmart and petsmart and neither worked... so I have ordered a stealth online for 28$ (pricey!) I am perplexed by others recommendations if the aforementioned heaters, methinks they are not good..
I know the tank is cold and maybe this is why Clampy stays clamped but in the past i have had two betta (about ten years ago) and they never had heaters and were very active...
Clampy can't eat betta pellets or large blood worms unless I split them up, i am wondering if he is small (I have no comparism) and maybe young or just sickly or clampy. I did check him for disease symptoms and compared him with pictures of betta illnesses and I don't think he has anything obvious. His body and head are very grey in color.
I bought him because he was all clamped in the tank and I though he was going to die.
He does come to me when I approach the tank, he moves around but not a lot.
Now that I notice the white spines on his ventrals I think they were that way when I got him last week, I just thought they were clamped, he was in a filthy bowl at the petstore.

I copied this form the other thread I have been posting on since I got him, there are some more pictures of the tank over there, my camera is blurry, however you can see the white ventral spines clamped up on the side of his bodyhttp://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-gallon-41980/

Last edited by sjones; 05-03-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #4 
sjones

better photo, he's flaring
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you have a good set-up...well except for the heater, I hear ya on that...good ones are hard to find and they are not cheap.....

The temp is a bit low but you know that already.....some Bettas are more sensitive to heat than others IME, if your hot water heater is less than 10 years old it should be fine to use the warm water mix with cold IMO, you can also get a water conditioner to take care of heavy metals "Prime" is a good one for that.

Since it sound like you got a sick Betta to start off with (rescue) I would start by doing daily water changes, I would put him in QT if you can...this will make it easier to treat with correct dosage of aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and make the 100% water changes each day for 10 days.
I like to pre-mix my salt water in a 1g jug and keep in in the same location as the fish so that the water temp is about the same, if you can.... try to keep the water at 76-78F.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #6 
sjones

Okay, I'm going to do this.
I'll let you know how it goes, poor guy!
Thank you!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #7 
sjones

Great news!
I changed his tank today and found a huge bubble nest under the lid! I was shocked. He did this in one day.
I put him in the aquarium salt and also added a new plant to his digs.
I have to file it down with a nail file though as it was a plant from petco but it has sharp little nubs on it.
As I am going to be doing the daily changes witht he aquarium salt I only put 2 gallons in.
I have mastered the art of water changes by filling two gallon jugs with cold tap water and salting them and letting them sit overnight.
Then I placed them in a sink full of hot water to heat them up to the aquarium's temperature, added water conditioner and poured them into the tank and re added my betta.
He loves his new tank and I am renaming him "Lotus" as he has finally unclamped. Of course I think I will still call him Clampy a lot.
He is so beautiful, I have to admit i was getting jealous over all the good looking betta on here, but he has a beautiful lacey looking spotted tail. ANd his color is coming in, his body is turning red form grey.
One thing I did was hold a mirror up to him the other day in order to try to get a good picture. I think making him flalr reminded him that he has room enough to unclamp his fins. I am thinking a little flalring is good exercise!
I am still waiting on my stealth heater to arrive in the mail but in the meantime have been covering his tank at night with a towel. This really keeps the temperature up!
Anyways I am thrilled over his huge bubble nest!
Here are some pictures with my horrible blurry camera!

The only thing is killing me is the poor betta they replaced him with in that horrible bowl at the petstore.. what to do?

Last edited by sjones; 05-04-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #8 
Zenandra
Banned

He looks much better in those last pictures! He just needed some love and TLC! Great job!!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #9 
sjones

Thank you, as you know these guys are so rewarding, and I found all the info on here, so thank you all!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #10 
sjones

But now I want another!! AHHHH! :D