Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #1 
BettaOscar

Please help

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I think my Betta has fin rot.

Our water isn't perfect. We are trying to fix it. We have a 10 gallon tank. I did a partial water change today. It's a filtered tank.

I have 1 betta
3 cory fish
2 ADF's
1 mystrey snail

My DH said we aren't overstocked. But I think we are.

I had a frog die yesterday and a cory die this morning. This is when I noticed my Betta had blackish taterd fins.. Does this sound like fin rot? What do I do?
I feel so bad. I thought I've been doing everything right. I feel like I failed at being a fish mom.

I do have a 1 gallon hospital tank. But no heater for it (I'll buy one tomorrow if it can fit in a gallon). Any advice/help would be welcomed. TIA.
BettaOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Stuff happens......
On the 10g I would start by making 50% daily water changes
Put your Betta in the 1g and start making 100% water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for the next 10 days, you should start to see improvement in 3-4 days, feed a high protein diet to promote healing and if you have IAL or native oak leaves soak them in a pre-mixed 1g jug along with the aquarium salt to use for the daily water changes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #3 
Zenandra
Banned

Have you checked your water stats? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc?? Did you cycle the tank before you added the fish? How often do you do water changes?

I agree with Oldfishlady's advice. Put your boy in the 1gal, he'll be ok for a day until you can get a heater as long as he's in a room that stays fairly warm. Add some aquarium salt or Non-iodized table salt. Also a couple drops of quick cure if you can find it, it will turn your water blue, but I swear by that stuff, I don't think there's anything it can't help!

Check the levels in your 10 gal and start doing 50%-75% water changes daily and monitor the levels every day
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 
BettaOscar

Thanks for both replies. I got Oscar set up in his lil hotel/hospital.
I ended up buying Betta revive (I couldn't find quick cure) and a heater pad that goes in the tank..

Zenandra - My water stats are awful.. We are doing our best to fix the problem. But I finally got my Nitrate levels down. We have Well water. I think the nitrates are high? I can't remember. My ammonia levels are slowly coming down. But not as fast as I would like.
BettaOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #5 
zoragen

What water treatment are you using?

Have your tired Prime? That's seems to have a good reputation.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote