Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #1 
sparketta

Time to try other food?

Hi,

I've had my betta Zen for less than a week. I stressed him out by moving him a lot, but he's finally getting readjusted - he's coming out of his little lair near the heater and swimming around. He is in a 10 gallon tank and the temperature is always around 76.

When I first got him, he ate, but now he isn't anymore. But like I said, he's started coming out more and swimming around. I've tried Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and Tetra flakes. Is it time to try bloodworms and/or daphnia?
sparketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Most likely he's just stressed out. Moving to a new tank is stressful enough for fish but moving to entirely different home is waaaay more stressful! He'll come out to eat more soon, sometimes it can take them a few weeks to really adjust and become comfortable in the new tank

Although here's a bit about food if you don't know

Fish food, much like dog food and cat food have filler's in them if they are not high quality food. What are filler's you ask? Filler's do just what they say, they fill the food so that the company doesn't have to waste so much money on the real food like shrimp or meaty products that inscetivore and carnivore fish need! Filler's are anything Wheat, Corn or Soybean.

So take a look at your fish food and look at the first three ingredients. The first three ingredients are what the food contains most of. Usually it's some sort of fish meal or something which isn't that great either. But if you see something that has Wheat, Corn or Soybean in it, it lowers the quality of the food. So you want some food that either has no fillers in the first three ingredients or at least very little in the first three, so say 1 out of 3 is pretty good, 0 out of 3 is best!

Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and flakes are one of the best out right now, they have no fillers in the first three ingredients! However, my fish prefer New Life Spectrum or NLS. NLS does have one filler in the first three ingredients but the make up for it by the fact that it also contains Garlic and Spirulina. Garlic is especially good, Betta's absolutely love it which makes the food yummier for them and it's also a great anti-parasitic food! Not saying that it will completely keep your fish safe from internal parasites, but it certainly helps in warding them off.

Both foods can be found at your fish stores usually, Omega is more likely to be found though. NLS can be ordered online and you can use either the Betta Formula which is a 1mm sized pellet which is just about the same as Omega generally, sometimes smaller so it works well for larger Betta's. You can also use the Small Fish formula which is a .5mm pellet, so it's half the size, great for Baby Betta's and other small fish, even adult Betta's who are on the smaller size! Both formula's are about the same in ingredients.

Sorry for the long winded reply! lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 
kikuhoshi

Bloodworms tend to be more of a treat - it's like feeding a child ice cream at every meal (they'll love it, until they end up with the bellyache from the Underworld. lol). I would go and look for a new kind of pellet, after looking to see if he's constipated.

I, personally, have never had issues with Hikari (the mini-pellets), and it seems to be what my bettas prefer (plus it's what I can get here; the NLS and Omega have to be specially ordered & I can't afford that), so I can't give any food recs. Sorry!
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

As for bloodworms, it's the freeze-dried ones that are more of a treat. Frozen ones and live ones can be fed more often since they actually have more blood in them and won't cause so much constipation, but you are right kikuhoshi.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #5 
kikuhoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
As for bloodworms, it's the freeze-dried ones that are more of a treat. Frozen ones and live ones can be fed more often since they actually have more blood in them and won't cause so much constipation, but you are right kikuhoshi.
I always forget people can get bloodworms frozen; the LPS (including the big box ones) don't stock frozen because they don't sell here. I remember the first time I went into Petsmart and asked for their frozen fish food - the clerk led me straight to the freezedried stuff & wouldn't believe that some people fed their fish "ice cream", as he called it (he was a kid, about my age at the time [18/19], & I know how "right" we can be. Lol). The Petco people knew what I was talking about, but their freezer had just been removed for repair and was unlikely to come back (it didn't).

Last edited by kikuhoshi; 11-11-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #6 
sugarunicorn

I've had good luck with Aquadine -- a mix of 75% HiProtein duraflakes, and 25% Freshwater Tropical duraflakes. It can be a bit tough to find, but my fish go absolutely NUTS for it.

The LFS gave me a sample after I mentioned having trouble getting my betta to have interest in his pellets rather than the corys' catfish wafers. I've never seen him quite so excited about food since I started feeding it, tbh.
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Meal is not a bad thing. Meal means dried and ground up. Ideally the ingredients are "whole ___ meal", which means the whole fish is used. Just "___ meal" means that only scraps from fish processing plants are used.

Since omega one betta buffet was mentioned, let's look at the ingredients and what they mean.

whole salmon, halibut, shrimp, wheat flour, wheat gluten, Are the top ingredients.

Ingredients are listed by weight, so the one listed first is the most abundant. However, ingredient lists are easily manipulated. "Whole salmon" sounds great, and it is great. However, it's not nearly as great as if it said "whole salmon meal". The fact that they do not list it as a meal means that they measured the pre mealed, wet weight of the fish. In order for a whole fish to be used, it must first be converted into a meal, which loses 80% of its weight. So there is 80% less salmon than they would have you believe. Listing halibut as "halibut" means that they are using the scraps of the halibut, and same goes for the shrimp - not high quality sources of protein even though they sound good. And like the salmon, they are most likely wet weights

Wheat flour and wheat gluten are both wheat, so the actual amount of wheat in the product is the combination of the two, which would rank it higher on the list. By splitting them up they are able to list them further down, giving the impression that there is less wheat than there really is.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm sorry, I had thought meal was bad but that makes sense jaysee.

How about NLS? I know they had recently changed their formula to no longer say "meal" after some of the first ingredients. Does this mean it's no longer as good as it was before?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

The top 3 ingredient listed on my containers of NLS are whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal and whole wheat flour. Krill is just a fantastic protein, and herring is right up there with salmon. Whole wheat flour is the binder (a necessary component).

The next 3 are whole squid meal, algae meal and garlic (Thera A formula).

I must say I am unaware of any formula changes, probably because I buy 5 lb buckets that last a while.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I do believe in the new formula since this January I believe, they switched their ingredients to say Herring, Krill and Wheat Flour so they essentially took away the "meal" portion of the foods. I have two, well three, but two NLS pellet types, one from last year in December or so that has the "meal" portion and the newer one does not have the "meal" portion. I would then assume it's quality has gone down?

Also, you mention Whole Wheat Flour as a binder, would regular Wheat Flour in the Omega One be doing the same thing?

These are the new ingredients to the Betta/Small Fish Formula:

"Herring, krill, wheat flour, algae meal,soybean lsolate, fish oil, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, vitamin A acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin, DL Alphatocopherol (E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (C), Choline chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Ethoxyquin (preservative)."