Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #1 
Nikita

Talking new betta!!!!

WOOT!! i got a new betta today!!! she's a small black CT with green spots and stripes, i saw her at petco when i was checking out the silk plants for Shere Kahn my red CT male, it's really hard to find CT females around where i live so i was interested when i saw the label say 'CROWN TAIL FEMALE' i looked and the others were blah but i saw her and was smitten, i have to go to michels tomorrow to get mesh for a divider so she can go into my ten gallon tank with Shere Kahn, but i'm happy i found her!!! and she looks like she hasn't been in the cup long because she's super small and her fins aren't all icky, lol she's so tiny she only equals two segments of my pinky long nose to end of tail!!

oh and how can i get rid of the algae growing in my tank other than scrubbing constantly? my gramma has some pond care algaefix stuff it says that it won't hurt koi and gold fish, would it be safe for my betta?
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Congrats. She sounds adorable.

I would not put any chemicals in the tank. Can you get the tank out of indirect light? I have to keep the shades down in my bedroom so my betta tanks don't turn hideously green.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

I agree with romad...also you can get a pleco if the tank is big enough i suggest a very small pleco... if you have 10 gallons tho..not smaller than ten gallons should there be a pleco in the tank. he or she (the pleco) will basically suck on the algea as food its like your bettas own personal maid. or scrubber lol ;)

BTW your betta sounds lovely

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-05-2010 at 11:28 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #4 
Nikita

aww thank you, i bought a tank light for him though, that's where he gets his light, it helps a little with keeping his tank warm, i do have a heater but it dose get cold in my room, is there a certain bulb i need to buy?
Are the fish you're talking about the grey/ brownish things that look sorta like sharks but with suckers for mouths? i will be splitting my tank for Shere Kahn and Kiki so i'd have to buy two... but maybe not.. i don't want to abuse a poor fishy by putting it in too little a tank.

Kiki may have blue spots insted of green, she is definetly healthy , but i'm still gonna keep her and shere kahn out of the same tank for a week. i can't remember who said it but someone on here is compleatly right betta's are gate way fish. ^-^

Last edited by Nikita; 05-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #5 
xxabc

I really hope you're not talking about the common pleco. Those get up to around 18 inches. A very, very, very bad idea for a divided 10 gallon. If anything, start with nerite snail. Or, perhaps otos.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

Didn't even notice that there was no specificity there! Good catch.

If you get one, I'd recommend a clown pleco.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #7 
Nikita

Smile

lol I've had some before i just didn't know what they were, yeah, no, not an option, are snails hard to keep? i know nothing about them and i'm short on money.
i just got some plastic canvas so i can divide the tank any ideas on how i attach it to the sides? i do have a hot glue gun but i want to put as little glue as possible on the glass.
do any one of you know how i can make the water from my filter not run as fast, or at least dampen the flow a bit because it's on her side of the tank and i don't want to stress her out too much. will a cup or plate to catch the water help?
right now she's in a tiny bowl that was only slightly bigger than the petco tub, this will change after her week in quarinteen is up, i don't have another tank or bowl so this is a make do, i do feel bad though i know 2.5 gallons MINIMUM but she will soon have 5 gallons to herself and another fish to flirt with across the way, plus she's so tiny i don't fell as guilty as i would if i put my sister's VT in there, he's huge compared to my two CTs.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #8 
xxabc

You would have to make sure your betta wouldn't take your snail's food. A snail DOES require care. If you have an algae problem, simply minimize all light. If there's indirect light, completely block it. If there's no indirect light, then you're keeping your own tank light on too long.

Or just scrub. Seriously, it's not that hard. Buy a sponge (even the ones made for algae-scrubbing do work) and scrub down. On plants, just use your fingers. It's not harmful, only ugly (although I appreciate the natural color in my tank. I keep my algae to a level).

If you don't want to waste money, then you shouldn't buy a tankmate to clean the algae for you. Only more problems could ensue if you're not really up for it. You would have to up the water changes because of the bioload - certain snails can poop quite a bit.

For the plastic canvas, I kept it up with suction cups. There are some made to be in an aquarium. Buy four, it should be good for you. Set it up how you like it. Make sure there is enough gravel at the bottom to keep it strong, too. I didn't like the idea of glue, or silicone (in case I change my mind) in my tank, so I did this instead. I'm glad I didn't, I'm about to get another tank and destroy the divider.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #9 
Nikita

i'm fine with scrubbing but i turn his light on for about 8 hrs a day, and the first time it got bad, and the algea is black not green, and it shows up almost instantly once i scrub it off, am i just going to have to not use a light?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #10 
xxabc

Wait.

Black algae?