Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #1 
bettalover2033

Dividers

Are dividers proper hopes for a ten gallon? how many Male betta fish can you house in a ten gallon?? basically how many Dividers shouyld i buy for a ten gallon...i have three bettas two males and one female...is that okay for a ten gallon?

very anxiouse to know thanks in advance...!!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

im confused with this
Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

You can house 3 bettas in a 10 gallon. Personally I would not divide it any more than that but some people do divide it into 4 sections. Its a matter of opinion.

If you want to put three bettas in the tank your going to need 2 dividers. I highly suggest you also buy aquarium silicon and glue the dividers in place so you know your fish won't be able to get through to the other side.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #4 
pearlyfins

This is a great set up,.... I have it!! My 10 gallon is divided into 3 sections and houses 2 male bettas and one male sunset honey gourami. (the bettas on the ends and the gourami in the middle) They are all very happy and healthy. I am surprised at how well the set up has worked. My bettas are convinced that the gourami is a female betta! They flare and build huge bubble nests. It's rather cute. The gourami is every bit as sociable as the bettas,... sometimes more so!! And he seems to rather enjoy his flaring neighbors.

I started out like you with 2 male bettas and one female betta. Sadly my female died about a week after I bought her. :( I had placed her in the middle condo. If I could do it over again I would have put her on one of the ends and then made sure that there were A LOT more plants at the divider so that neither male or female could see a lot of each other.

In my case,... my males flared, but never seemed stressed. The female could really care less about the males,.... but I think that having her in the middle with a male on either side was too much for her.

Good luck in setting up your tank,.... I think you will love it! I know I do!
pearlyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

Are you planning on moving that gourami somewhere bigger sometime in the near future? A dwarf-croaker would do fine in that space, but yours tend to like more.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #6 
pearlyfins

Well,.... I did the research on the honey gourami before I went and bought one and everything I read said that their max size was 2" He is just over an inch right now. He is a young guy. Each fish currently has their own 3 gallon tank basically. One of my male bettas is getting to be an old man and when he passes (hopefully not for a long while yet),... I will remove one of the dividers and give my remaining young crowntail, and the gourami each their own 5 gallon space. ;)
pearlyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

In this case, it isn't the size of the fish (oxygen-exchange @ water surface) that is so important. I would consider 10 gallons to be the minimum, based on the most reliable available literature. But 5, I suppose, would be better than 3.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
In this case, it isn't the size of the fish (oxygen-exchange @ water surface) that is so important. I would consider 10 gallons to be the minimum, based on the most reliable available literature. But 5, I suppose, would be better than 3.

i have 2 comments one is for you...but anyway right now i have each betta in a 1 liter tank and i cannot live with it it just looks like torture to them and i have to give them at least 3 gallons because i told myself that that would be their temporary home but i have to go to wal-mart and get more than 5 dividers...!!!NOT TO PUT IN A 10 GALLON TANK... just for future references..
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlyfins View Post
This is a great set up,.... I have it!! My 10 gallon is divided into 3 sections and houses 2 male bettas and one male sunset honey gourami. (the bettas on the ends and the gourami in the middle) They are all very happy and healthy. I am surprised at how well the set up has worked. My bettas are convinced that the gourami is a female betta! They flare and build huge bubble nests. It's rather cute. The gourami is every bit as sociable as the bettas,... sometimes more so!! And he seems to rather enjoy his flaring neighbors.

I started out like you with 2 male bettas and one female betta. Sadly my female died about a week after I bought her. :( I had placed her in the middle condo. If I could do it over again I would have put her on one of the ends and then made sure that there were A LOT more plants at the divider so that neither male or female could see a lot of each other.

In my case,... my males flared, but never seemed stressed. The female could really care less about the males,.... but I think that having her in the middle with a male on either side was too much for her.

Good luck in setting up your tank,.... I think you will love it! I know I do!

the second comment if for you...

well i have the two males and one female... i want to put the female in the middle but according to YOU did you have any problems with her in the middle??

some advice wanted;)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

I have a female in the middle of my divided tank and I have no problems. The males flirt with her and build nests but she has lots of hiding places for when she gets tired of all the attention.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote