Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #1 
Heat

Question Help! My betta fish needs a heater.

I have a small fish tank and it is heated by a built-in lightbulb at the top. About 30 minutes ago, I turned it off because its nighttime. I checked on it like a minute ago it was still hot. But just in case, I wanted to make a heater, since its too late at night to go to the store and buy one. For now, I'm just using the heat that came off the lightbulb but I just want to be sure that my betta gets enough heat. (the lid is still really hot! ouch!!)

What are heaters made of, first off??? RAWRZ HELP!
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #2 
MollyJean

A heater is made of a circuit board and a heating coil.. and lots of Electricity. And that doesn't mix with water. You're not going to be able to make a heater for your fish, and I wouldn't suggest trying. You might just end up hurting him.

Unless your room temp is like 60 degrees, he'll be fine for a few nights without a heater, just go buy one as soon as you have a chance. Keep him in the warmest room in the house and watch him closely. Do you have a thermometer in your fish tank? I would suggest getting one when you get your heater.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

Got a heat pad?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #4 
MollyJean

A heating pad would work.. but don't try it if you don't have a thermometer. The last thing you want is boiled fish.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

Quite true.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #6 
sjones

I just got my stealth 25 watt heater today, did a water change and set it at 82, it heated up the tank in a few hours (from 75) and works like a charm! I LOVE it, this is after buying 3 other heaters that didn't work-the tetra whisper, the hydor that looks just like the whisper, and the hydor 7.5. Out of all those the hydor 7.5 did raise the temp a bit. ANyways I ordered the stealth online and it was 26$ with shipping and I love it so far.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad it's working for you. I love mine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #8 
sjones

Thanks, I'm just worried it may work too well! I'm obsessively checking the temperature!
And of course I saw this really great all black betta today at the "pet store" but you know that would mean another heater, tank, etc etc... resist! resist!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Yes! Definitely resist!

We're working on the kids' tanks right now. Each one is REQUIRED to have a filter, heater, substrate, and aquarium before they are even allowed to SUGGEST a fish for it! Try explaining THAT to a 4-year old!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #10 
sjones

Oh yeah! That's good to hear though!
I recently witnessed a horrifying exchange in the fish food aisle
Parents to little girl "Do you just want to get candy instead of getting a fish"
Little girl: "Yes"
Parents" Okay, that will be easier, we'll come back another day for fish"
I hope not.

Tags
betta fish heater heat