Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #1 
brancasterr

filter too strong...

I finally got fish in my 10g after cycling it for 3 or 4 weeks. Whew! I started with neon tetras and when I put them in they went immediately to the bottom. They're exploring the bottom extensively but won't go any further than about half way to the surface. Could the filter be to strong for them? If so I would imagine it is WAY to strong for a betta.

I can lift the filter intake to adjust the flow of water going into the filter and that significantly reduced the amount of water coming out. If I do this will it compromise the cleanliness of my tank?

Or is this normal behavior for neon tetras?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #2 
brancasterr

Okay, I slowed down the filter flow and the fish seem to be a lot happier and my plants are floating more too. But I'm worried this will make my tank dirtier or do something?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

neon tetras probably won't spend much time at the surface outside of feeding time.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #4 
brancasterr

I'm not talking about just the surface. They only stayed at the bottom really close to the substrate when the filter was going full flow. Then I lowered it and they swim around the middle and even explore the plants near the filter.

I have also noticed that one of the tetras is very aggressive toward the others. He chases them and appears to be trying to nip at them. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

Oh. I see. Well, it seems like you problem-solved their habitat pretty well. I wouldn't worry about the lowered filtration capacity, since you plan on doing lots of water changes!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #6 
Welsh

When I first put my tetras in the filter was very strong and being a newbie I didn't realise, it was only when my betta was swimming and not actually going anywhere did I notice, I now realise why my tetras were always at the bottom.lol. Tetras are known to be fin nippers but I don't think its anything to worry about unless they start on your betta.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #7 
Nikita

my filter is the same way, what i did was i raised the water level so the spout was touching it, then lifted the intake for a day, i pushed it down little by little each day til my fish got used to being in the tank with it full blast, it may or may not work with your betta but good luck, i've also heard that you can put some plants in front of it to dampen the flow.
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote