Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

*YaY* cycled tank!!!

Man I am so thrilled, I think Jasper's tank is cycled (not that I was meaning to cycle it or anything, I read on here that it was nearly impossible to cycle a 2.5g tank, so I settled and just kept on with my weekly 50% water changes)

At the same time that I bought the snail's, I bought an ammonia test kit and i tied it out that night on both my tanks (Jasper's was 0ppm but Charlie's was 1.0 or something)
and today's reading's where:
Jasper's tank: 0.25
Charlie's tank: 2.0
(I know I got to do a water change on Charlie's tank, if not tonight I'll do it tomorrow)

Although I know that I might be excited for nothing here, since Jasper barely poops (he's my first little guy, I didn't know better, and his system is already shot by all the non rehydrated freeze dried food and all, but he's a fighter) and there's barely nothing there but a plant covered in snail poop.

Anyway's I'm thrilled and I thought you guys would understand my thrill!!

Feel free to add any sorta tips..
Thankx
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You know your tank is cycled when your water prams numbers are:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
You also have to have an oxygen source to keep the good bacteria alive as well as an ammonia source.

Anytime you have Ammonia or nitrite 0.25ppm or greater water changes need to be made for the safety/health of livestock and/or when Nitrate levels over 20ppm to prevent immune response issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaspersANGEL View Post
Charlie's tank: 2.0
(I know I got to do a water change on Charlie's tank, if not tonight I'll do it tomorrow)
?????? I'm confused. You know that ammonia levels are 4x the maximum your fish could handle for even the shortest amount of time, but changing the water can wait until tomorrow???????

2.0 ppm can do some MAJOR damage to Charlie by tomorrow, at which point those levels could easily be much, much HIGHER. I recommend doing a water change ASAP. Then test again. If ammonia is 1.0 or higher, do another one.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #4 
JaspersANGEL

O ok so I'll do one right now (so the new water dosn't have to sit 24h before the water change.... that's what I meant really sorry if it came out wrong)
I'll do one immediately next time I see something wrong with the water.

When I do my water changes I leave the fish in, is it the same thing with the snail, leave it in and just push it out of the way....
Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

It's OK...I must ask why you are planning to let it sit out for 24 hours.

If you are letting it sit as a substitute for a dechlorinating water conditioner, then you may indeed be prevented from acting on it any sooner.

If you are concerned about degassing the water, you can agitate it with vigourous stirring with a plastic whisk or similar stirring implement to get most of it out. Luckily, bettas aren't overly sensitive to gases in the water.

These are the two best reasons for wanting to "age" your water. Assuming it's not about the chlorine, then the ammonia content is a much bigger concern.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

I just always got it out the day before and let it sit there overnight
and the next morning i added the conditioner
just really paranoid i guess *lol*
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

Conditioners these days are very fast-acting. Dechlorinating the water is a matter of minutes. I also prefer "aged" water, especially with killies, but sometimes you have forego your preferences... 8)
Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #8 
Welsh

I always wondered why people let their water sit for 24hrs, I just thought they were waiting for it to warm up, now i know. lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

Yea from stuff I read on here, chlorine evaporates, and just letting ur water sit overnight or something leaves time for other bad stuff to evaporate also it gets the water to room temperature.

And then I add the water conditioner, at time's before i didn't even add water conditioner just let the water sit out overnight, but now I add it.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #10 
Welsh

Why dont you try boiling some water in pan or kettle, this will get rid of any nasty metals or chlorine and then add your water conditioner. It goes without saying that you should let it cool down before you add it to your tank lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote