Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #1 
Atlas58

Finally getting back into fish again...

Well I decided to start my hobby of fish again and I went with a betta to get me started. I have a red male named Shelby and he's in a 2 gallon tank for now until I expand to a 10 gallon. Do you guys have good recommendations for tankmates, decorations, filter systems, food pellets(I'm using Wardley right now). Tips are much appreciated.
Charles
Atlas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #2 
ninjafish

Welcome to the forum! It's great to get back into something you enjoy, right? Same thing happened to me last year and I got the betta bug. I can't tell you much about tankmates, but are you looking to have artificial plants, or live ones? If you go for artificial, get silk plants over plastic - your betta will be much less likely to injure himself. As for food, I swear by Hikari Bio Gold betta pellets, and I do not reccommend Wardley betta pellets, as they were simply too big for my bettas.

Love that car, btw. Good luck with it. I'm saving up for a mustang of my own..It won't be anything fancy, but it'll be mine. ;)
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #3 
WillowTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafish View Post
As for food, I swear by Hikari Bio Gold betta pellets, and I do not reccommend Wardley betta pellets, as they were simply too big for my bettas.
I agree. None of my betta's would eat the Wardley betta pellets due to the size. I also feed them the Hikari Bio Gold betta pellets 5 days a week. I feed them freeze dried blood worms once a week and fast them once a week.
WillowTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #4 
CodeRed

Welcome to the forum! As for the little convo going on about Wardleys... I was EXTREMELY lucky and got a container with small pellets ^_^ It should last me for quite some time :D But I'd suggest Hikari, really. It was pure luck that my Wardleys ended up small.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I also use Wardleys and Bio Gold, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #6 
TheJadeBetta

Welcome to the forum.

Tankmates:
Cory Cats, and Shrimp (some Betta will eat shrimp, though.)..Most say Tetras, personally I don't like Tetras, they nip fins.
Decorations: Any caves that don't have sharp edges, and silk or live plants.
Filter Systems: Aqua-Tech is really good. The Marineland one might be to powerful. If you have a Wal-Mart near you that sells 10 gallon kits, them are awesome.
Food Pellets: I used Wardleys, but I prefer Hikari Bio Gold. I just got New Life Spectrum Betta Formula, going to see how that works.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #7 
metalbetta

Wardleys has always worked well for me! Small pellets FTW. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #8 
Atlas58

Thanks for the tips I will try to get a picture up of Shelby soon I'm really busy so maybe not until tommorow afternoon.
Charles
Atlas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #9 
bloo97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Welcome to the forum! As for the little convo going on about Wardleys... I was EXTREMELY lucky and got a container with small pellets ^_^ It should last me for quite some time :D But I'd suggest Hikari, really. It was pure luck that my Wardleys ended up small.
I used Wardley's with Bloo and it was fine. I now use Hikari, but If you have Wardley's and your fish Eat it without seeming too unhappy, I think it would be fine. But don't take it from me. I'm not as experienced as these guys. (:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote