Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #1 
MollyJean

Heater review

I broke my baby's heater. I unplugged the wrong thing when cleaning his tank and ended up leaving his 25 watt heater sitting on the table on for half an hour. It popped. :( My own fault, so I still trust the brand, but I don't have the 25 bucks to spend on a new heater right now.

So while looking around, I found the Slim Tech Aquarium 25 Watt Heater for anywhere from 6 bucks to 8 bucks. Meaning I could get it for under 10 bucks. Sounds too good to be true. Has anyone bought one of these? tried them oute?

And if not, anyone find any other off brand heaters for 10-15 bucks? I know I'm being cheap, but if you don't have the money to spend.. well you know how it goes.

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-01-2010 at 06:35 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #2 
MollyJean

Well if anyone cares, the Slim Tech is working great, keeps Lunch happy and warm, even at night when the temp is 70 and under. Only cost me 15 bucks, shipping and all, and I'll be ordering another one for a future second tank.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #3 
Kittles

What size tank do you keep it in? I've never heard of the heater you've purchased, but if it works great in smaller tanks I'll have to make note of it for future reference!
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #4 
Welsh

I do =) I'm having problems with my hydor and need a mini heater ASAP but can't find one for the life of me. How big is your tank that the heater is in?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #5 
MollyJean

It's a 3 gallon and the heater I got is 25 watt. The dial on it doesn't have numbers like the Marineland heaters, but it's pretty simple, turn it little by little til the light turns on and once you hit a good temp, leave it there. looks like I could raise it up to 86 if I needed to. I checked temp next to the heater and on the other side of the tank and it's all even.

Got it on E Bay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Watt-Aquarium...#ht_2431wt_939

He has higher watts, 75, 100, 300. And the brand is good so far, so you might be able to find then on Amazon or other sites for about the same price.

Welsh, I couldn't stand the Hydor, anything with a temp control is better!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #6 
Welsh

I agree, this thing is a piece of S**t, it wouldnt keep an ant warm. I think I will check out ebay sounds like my best bet =)
Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #7 
Kittles

That's strange because my Hydor Mini kept my 2 gallon heated appropriately. You may have just bought a defective one and should have returned it. Don't most have some sort of warranty?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #8 
Welsh

Really? It wont even hit 61 in my tank, its ridiculous.

I am returning it, I just need to find a heater beforehand since I have nowhere to put Aden in the mean time, the poor guy is changing colour he's so cold and I'm worried.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #9 
MollyJean

The problem with the Hydor is it only heats so many degrees over the base temp of the water. For a cold home (like my house in winter, which hit 60 sometimes) it's not going to get you near a decent Betta temp. I couldn't raise Lunch's water above 70 with the Hydor during the winter.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #10 
Welsh

I know, I didnt realise this when I bought it I think dramaqueen told me, what I have been doing is boiling water in the kettle and cooling it down with cold so that he can get some sort of warmth. I'm so stressed, I woke this morning to find him with a white patch under his chin and his body was orange instead of red, im thinking about floating him in the 12 gall but this might stress him since there are 4 females in there. I was looking at the hagen elite mini, you know if this is any good?

Im so sorry to hi-jack your post, like I dont ask enough questions on this forum as it is now im hi-jacking lmao.