Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1 
Loisp27

Confused and Worried

I have a female Betta. She is approximately 5 months old. She is in a 1.5 gallon tank. She has been very active up until today. When I got home I found her on the bottom of the tank, I tapped the tank and shw swam around like crazy and then went back to the bottom of the tank. I did that a few times and the same thing.
She has been eating and pooping fine. Her water temp is between 80 and 83 degrees. She looks fine. What could be the problem? Thanks.
Loisp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

How often are you changing the water?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

We need more info.

How much and how often do you feed her? What is your water change schedule? How often do you keep the light on?

Does she look bloated or constipated or have any other outward signs of illness?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #4 
Loisp27

I feed her 2x a day, 2-3 pellets each time. I chNGE THE WATER 1 - 2 TIMES PER WEEK, DEPENDING ON HOW IT LOOKS. I put her lighrt on around 6:30am and shut it off around 8pm. She does have a filter and a heater in the tNK.
Loisp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

IMO a 1.5 gallon tank needs to be changed at least 3 times a week, preferably every other day. She could have ammonia posioning.. do you have any way to test your water?

I suggest doing a water change and keeping the light on only 6-8 hours a day. Sometimes too much light can be stressful for bettas. Does she have stress stripes? They would be horizontal lines that run the length of her body.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #6 
Zenandra
Banned

She has a filter so twice a week water changes plus the filter should be plenty! Does she have stress stripes? Have you sprayed anything near the tank like perfume or cleaners/air fresheners? have you had your hands in the tank? Is she showing any outward signs of illness? Bloating? etc.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

If the tank isn't cycled (which I don't think it can be) she would still need at least 3 changes a week on a tank that small.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
If the tank isn't cycled (which I don't think it can be).
It can be, and ideally, it would be!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

There are dissenting opinions on whether a tank that small benefits from a cycle. You would still need bi-weekly changes IMO.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

Water changing and cycling are best viewed as COMPLETELY different things. In all honesty, the only way to PREVENT cycling is to do a 100% water change every day and clean out the container with HOT, chlorinated water; not use gravel; and treat any decorations the same as the container.

Why anyone would seek to AVOID the benefits of nitrifying bacteria is really beyond my comprehension. They live in the gravel, on the decorations, on the sides of your aquarium, pretty much anywhere with a surface area (which equates to a level of oxygen exchange). Filters harbor more of these bacteria, since their very nature brings on a water flow, which means more oxygen exchange.

When I think of people talking about "not cycling", for some reason I imagine you sitting there with an eye-dropper full of liquid arsenic, slowly dripping it into your mouth in hopes that you'll do it slow enough that it won't kill you. I imagine it's POSSIBLE to do it without reaching a lethal dose, but why would you want to?