Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #1 
DanMarion

10 gallon lighting upgrade!

I finally found CFL bulbs that will fit in the fixture for my light hood. 5 bucks a piece, but worth it in the lighting difference.

Before:

After:

The pictures don't do justice to the difference. The light in the aquarium is actually white instead of that musty-looking yellow. Quite exciting.
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

$5? Believe me, that's not expensive. Once you've spent $100 on a new lighting system for a 5 gallon, $5 seems like a steal! Good on ya, mate!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #3 
MozartOwner

Wow, for what you say with the "pictures not doing justice" I see a HUGE difference! That's amazing! And I really empathize about the light making everything look yellow, it's pretty bad. Congratulations on a good new lighting for your tank! Maybe I should start looking for CFL, cannot imagine how nice your tank looks in person.
MozartOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #4 
xxabc

I could only assume you had those wonderful (I'm being sarcastic) incandescent bulbs before. I love the difference between incan. and CFL. WONDERFUL, although a little weird for me with the sudden change, haha. Never regretted it though.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #5 
ldempsey

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMarion View Post
I finally found CFL bulbs that will fit in the fixture for my light hood...
DanMarion,

This is a 100W equivalent Natural Daylight CFL light in a clip-on desk lamp over my 10G tank. I love it.

That orange light is my heating lamp for the turtle. (yeah... I know... he's being moved shortly)
ldempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #6 
DanMarion

Yes, I had the incandescent lighting system that came with the aquarium kit. The difference is amazing, I can actually see color patterns on my betta and on my cories that I didn't know were there before. I'll never use incandescent lighting in an aquarium again.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #7 
mysquishy

Looks great!

I see you are from Boise. I don't live too far from there. Didn't you have your betta posted on Craigslist a few weeks ago because he wasn't getting along with the other fish? Did you change your mind? How is he doing with the tank mates?
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #8 
Jayy

your lighting looks much better!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #9 
DanMarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysquishy View Post
Looks great!

I see you are from Boise. I don't live too far from there. Didn't you have your betta posted on Craigslist a few weeks ago because he wasn't getting along with the other fish? Did you change your mind? How is he doing with the tank mates?

Yep, that was me. He didn't get along well with the neons that were in his tank before. I had him on CL for quite awhile and no one bit, so I set up a 10 gallon for him. He is in with cories and frogs, and everyone actually gets along great.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #10 
mysquishy

That is great to hear. I am happy everything worked out well for you. I am one of the people who emailed you about him but at the time I was in the middle of dividing and setting up my 10 gallon and now I have a tail biter stressing me out so I wasn't able to take anymore in. I think it is wonderful you found a living situation that he is happy in.

WHere did you get your frogs and how much were they? I want to get some for my bigger tank to live with one of my male bettas but I haven't really looked around for any. I love watching the frogs swim around in the tanks.

I live about 45 minutes from Boise so I go there sometimes. I was finally able to go to the petco in Nampa but I forgot to even look around for the frogs.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote