Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

Are These Decorations OK?

The first plant is a plastic glow in the dark plant. It doesn't seem to have any jagged edges and it passed the pantyhose test, but recently in another thread someone mentioned that a plant that looked very similar to this one (only difference I could see was color) ripped their betta's fins. So before I put my betta in with this decoration, I wanted to see if anyone had experience with plastic plants of this shape, and if you think they're ok or not? (Please ignore the puppy nose in the picture, he was very interested lol)

I'm pretty sure my tank finished cycling today (ammonia was at 0 or pretty close to it, nitrites were at 0, nitrates were somewhere between 10-20, probably around 15 or so--does that sound about right?) So I took everything out to do the big end-of-cycle water change and I noticed that one of my decorations had turned a very odd color.

It's the white/pink version of this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3079183.

Well mine had turned a very sickly sort of dark greenish gray color. This is what mine looks like, though the camera made it look a bit better; it's actually even darker than the picture.

Is it safe to put this thing back in the tank? Is it leeching, or could it have been discolored by all of the ammonia I was adding when I cycled my tank? I'd still like to use it, but I definitely don't want it to hurt my fish!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #2 
MollyJean

The first plant might or might not be safe. Some fish have problems and some don't. If it passed the panty hose test, try it out and just keep an eye on his fins. You might want to find some silk plants anyway, though. They're easier to clean, too.

I've never seen one of those mushroom things before.. pretty cool looking. If you're going to use it, soak it in really hot water for an hour and scrub every inch of it. No soap! Just hot water, elbow grease and vintager if you feel the need. If it's still discolored after a good scrubbing or two, I wouldn't worry about it.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Ok thanks for the advice! I have some silk plants too, I just wanted a glow in the dark plant as well, and that was the only one I could find that didn't look all spiney and dangerous.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #4 
StephNMitch

Ok, well the first picture of the plant looks fine to me as long as it's not sharp, but I'm not an expert so I'm not completely sure... The second picture I have no idea. If you add salt to your water then It could I guess turn color, just a guess
StephNMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #5 
MollyJean

I'm not into the glow in the dark part, but it looks great for resting. Some betta like having something big and flat to lay on.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #6 
sjones

The plant with the puppy snout growing out of it concerns me, ;)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
The plant with the puppy snout growing out of it concerns me, ;)
lmao!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote