Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #21 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
That sounds like a good starting point. The best way to tell if that is working is to test the water to measure how high the ammonia is getting. If it gets up near 0.5 ppm, then you can change more of the water...like 50% daily.
I don't think I can get a tester though...not right away...so more then anything it will be a luck of the draw...but if I stick to the 1/4 changeing everyday it should be kept safe.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #22 
Mister Sparkle

"should" is a dicey proposition, because you don't really know. In uncycled aquariums, I've gone from 0-1.0 ppm ammonia in less than a day. 25% wouldn't have made the kind of difference I'd have liked to see. Fishy cycling is sensitive business...doing it without a testing kit is a real roll of the dice. To be on the safe side, I recommend doing 50% daily changes.

Last edited by Mister Sparkle; 05-07-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added final sentence
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #23 
Starbright

50% water change every day?! I'm positive one betta in a 2.5 gallon will be happy with a 50% every day, but it's not necessary. The majority of the people on the forum recommend one 50% and one 100% water change every week for a 2.5 gallon betta tank.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #24 
Mister Sparkle

That's great that all of the people on the forum are perfectly fine with burned gills from ammonia/nitrite build-up. Personally, I'm not.

When that nitrite shoots from 0 ppm to 2.0 ppm, I'm sure the majority of people are perfectly happy to know that tough fish like a betta won't die from it. Personally, though, I've seen the kind of permanent damage bettas can "live with".

When you are flying blind, ALWAYS play it safe! I'm not much for rules in a lot of cases, but that's one you should write down and stick on a bulletin board somewhere. "It should be OK" isn't going to make you feel much better when it turns out that it WASN'T OK!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #25 
Terranariko

Quote:
That's great that all of the people on the forum are perfectly fine with burned gills from ammonia/nitrite build-up. Personally, I'm not.

When that nitrite shoots from 0 ppm to 2.0 ppm, I'm sure the majority of people are perfectly happy to know that tough fish like a betta won't die from it. Personally, though, I've seen the kind of permanent damage bettas can "live with".

When you are flying blind, ALWAYS play it safe! I'm not much for rules in a lot of cases, but that's one you should write down and stick on a bulletin board somewhere. "It should be OK" isn't going to make you feel much better when it turns out that it WASN'T OK!
Your being a little rude there...you have to remember I'm not a professonal, this is my first beta.

I'm pretty sure when most people got their first beta, it was really planed out as much as they liked...also I would get a testing kit...but I don't have the money for it right now.

Also I will play it safe and change the water more then I was going to...I'll do 1/2 of the water a day like you recomended...then after a while go down from there to a normal water changeing. I'd rather be safe then sorry...my worst fear of getting this betta is that I get it and the next day it's dead...so yes I am paranoid from this...I don't think your helping too...now I'm even more paranoid because I don't want my betta's gills burning...it sound horribly painful...considering their gills are sensitive ( I think...most fish gills are sensitive...) and I'm not a fish...but I can imagen it must feel terrible...so yes I will be very very careful and safe with it.

Anyway...I'm getting the tank in like 30-60 minutes...when I have it set up I'll take some pictures.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #26 
Mister Sparkle

I care less about your short-term feelings (nevermind that I was talking to Starbright on that one) than I do about your long-term satisfaction in experiencing 100% success as a fishkeeper.

It's called tough love! Where's Kittles with that Lady Gaga finger-snap image?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #27 
Terranariko

Quote:
I care less about your short-term feelings (nevermind that I was talking to Starbright on that one) than I do about your long-term satisfaction in experiencing 100% success as a fishkeeper.

It's called tough love! Where's Kittles with that Lady Gaga finger-snap image?
toung love indeed...I already got the tank now, and set it up, I got some chemicals for even more safety, they get rid of chlorine,ammonia, and basicly make the water safe for them, also it has some sort of extact...I think it's healthy for betta's since it's a betta water chemical, it also helps remove stress from the fish.

it has plants, a hidding spot, the filter was broken so we are getting a new one hopefully if the petstore isn't a jerk...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #28 
Mister Sparkle

Be careful about those chemicals. Getting the chlorine and heavy metals out of the water is a necessity, but you don't want to treat your new pet like a chemistry experiment.

Lots of products with promising labels turn out to do more harm than good. Something that changes the chemical composition of ammonia (it won't actually get rid of it) can significantly delay the process of cycling.

If the filter didn't work properly, the Pet Store pretty much HAS TO replace it! It's an implied warranty that a product will work as advertised. They should swap it out without a fuss.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #29 
Terranariko

Quote:
Be careful about those chemicals. Getting the chlorine and heavy metals out of the water is a necessity, but you don't want to treat your new pet like a chemistry experiment.

Lots of products with promising labels turn out to do more harm than good. Something that changes the chemical composition of ammonia (it won't actually get rid of it) can significantly delay the process of cycling.

If the filter didn't work properly, the Pet Store pretty much HAS TO replace it! It's an implied warranty that a product will work as advertised. They should swap it out without a fuss.
yeah maybe...but the chemicals seem to be trustable...also my petshop is kinda jerkish about that...but I think they will anyway, hopefully...besides that I need to wait till wensday to get the fish...since they only get new betta's then...they didn't have any betta's when I went there.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #30 
Mister Sparkle

I know that they "seem trustworthy". Those companies make a lot of money through sales of those products. In 26 years, I've learned that 95% of them are a poor substitute for a water change. If those companies could bottle a water change, they would. Many of us learned a very hard lesson that those fancy bottles of "cure-all" sitting on the shelf turned out to not be very trustworthy at all!

While I'm at it..."pH-down" is basically pure ACID! Many algae remedies are actually chemical defoliants! As with everything else, if the label sounds too good to be true, chances are that it IS! I advise you to purchase a good beginner's fishkeeping book (Here's a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Guide-F...3252820&sr=1-1) rather than attempting to navigate your way through the process with corporate promises and product puffery!