Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #1 
Sbanana7

Exclamation Salt Bath?

I'll try to make this as succinct as possible:

Issue 1: One of my CT developed BAD fin rot while a friend was caring for him in January. I've been treating with frequent water changes, salt and Simply Betta Fungus and Bacteria Cure. His water stays around 76. He was doing great, his tail was coming back in beautifully..then last week, a large chunk was gone and suddenly the fin rot is back full force.

Issue 2: I've been eyeing a beautiful blue and white butterfly DT at the local pet store for a while, he had mild fin rot when he got to the store...I put off getting him and now the lower half of his tail is gone and the rot has moved to his dorsal fin as well. Anyway, he's home with me now and I'll treat him the same way I've been treating the CT.

QUESTION:
I've heard of people giving Salt Baths, not just adding salt to the water, but actually dissolving a good amount of salt in a bit of water and putting the betta in for a few minutes.
Is this a viable option for my 2 sick boys? If so, can someone please let me know the specifics of how to do a salt bath?

Thanks so much! And thank you all for helping me be a better betta owner by sharing your wealth of knowledge!!!

p.s. I don't know if it factors in at all, but the DT will actually be going home with my mother when she visits in a few weeks..I already have a very similar boy and my mom is in love with him, so the new one is for her and I'd like to get him as healthy as possible before sending him on the flight to CA!!
Sbanana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The way I do salt baths:
I use half cup salt to one gallon of water and let it fully dissolve, I use a smallish cup that holds at least enough of the salt water to cover the fish fully. I have another cup standing by with the fish regular aquarium water in it.
I place the fish in the salt bath and leave them in it for 3 min or when they roll over and then remove from the salt bath and place in the aquarium water cup standing by.
Depending on what I am treating I will do the salt bath dip 2-3 times a day for 3-4 days.

*Note: this is very stressful and should not be done except when all other treatments fail, some fish may not tolerate salt dip and can die.

The way I have been successful in treating fin rot:
While in QT-I make 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, I like to pre-mix my salt in a clean 1 gallon jug and use a small QT container, this make it easier to dose the correct amount of salt and making the needed 100% daily water changes. I also use native oak leaves or Indian almond leaves in my pre-mixed water as added antibacterial/fungal agent.
In advanced cases a broad spectrum antibiotic may be needed
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 
Sbanana7

Thanks so much for the information! I have been treating the two with salt (not baths, just salt in the water) and daily water changes hoping I wouldn't have to do a salt dip as the new guy in particular is in pretty bad shape and I don't want to stress him.

They weren't improving so yesterday I decided they were getting salt dips...OMG...what a terrifying ordeal! I made the mistake of using a shallow bowl, and when I put the DT in he starting flipping around and getting really worked up I reached for the bowl to put him back and he jumped out when he hit the counter he passed out. Now, I know you told me this could happen..but it was so scary!! I scooped him back into his freshly cleaned tank and waited and waited and waited...he finally revived after about 3 minutes...longest 3 minutes of my life!!

On the upside, I think he looks significantly better today...do the salt dips work that quickly?
Sbanana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I also use native oak leaves
That's novel! You've seen positive results from that? I might have to keep that in mind!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Yes, they can work pretty fast..... all depending on what you are treating......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
That's novel! You've seen positive results from that? I might have to keep that in mind!
Yes, great results.....
I keep buckets of rain water with lots and lots of native oak leaves in them for spawning both bettas and tetras as well as collecting lot of critters for free live fish food....

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-07-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

Learned my new thing for the day! I think I can go to bed now! 8)
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote