Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

New Tank, New Cycle?

So. My 5g tank finished cycling yesterday. I was really excited until this morning when I discovered that the tank had started leaking. I didn't have time to do it today but I'm going to go get a new tank tomorrow. I removed about half the water (enough to make it light enough to carry) and stuck it in the laundry room basin so it wouldn't leak all over everything.

Hopefully there will still be some water in there when I get off work tomorrow. I guess my question is, what will happen with my cycle when I get the new tank? Will I have to start it over? What if I decide to upgrade to a 10g?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 
soleilvie

You won't need to start over! As long as you keep the gravel, plants, filter media, etc. wet in the old tank water (in a bucket or something), then your new tank will probably just go through a "mini cycle" -- maybe a week?
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Ok great. I don't want to wait another month to move my fish out of his 1g temp tank. I'd like to take the opportunity to upgrade to 10g but I'm afraid that a bigger tank would need a different filter, would that set things back more?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #4 
Kittles

As long as you're able to keep your current tank contents wet so that the bacteria on them which keep your tank cycled are able to survive until the transition you'll be fine. Now that you're getting a 10 gallon, could this be looked at as a blessing in disguise? I mean, who doesn't love an upgrade.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Great, thanks. Hopefully I won't loose too much water by the time I can get a new tank. But even if most of the water drains I can't imagine everything wouldn't at least stay wet.

I hate that I have to spend money on a new tank when I bought this one less than two months ago, but I have to admit I am pretty excited about moving on to a bigger one. Maybe I'll even think about some tank mates now.