Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #21 
Zenandra
Banned

Haha you might get the cops called on you but it would be worth it! haha. I used to do that to a local walmart that took HORRIBLE care of their bettas! I printed up my own care sheet and hung it over the bettas, and also hung a letter to walmart telling them exactly what was wrong. Everyday they would take it down and every day I would go put them back up. Until finally I got to talk to the manager (I wanted them to approach me, that way I knew they were actually interested, pissed maybe, but still interested) I explained what was wrong, asked her how she expected to sell fish when they were all sick or dead and why they're care sheets had such false information. She was actually very nice, She took one of my care sheets talked to the big corporate guys got permission to put up a new "Walmart approved" care sheet with correct information. They have cut down on the number of bettas they order, and it's been 3 years now, the care sheets still there and everytime I go in the bettas are always in clean water, and none are ever sick or dead. One person can make a difference! You just have to try!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #22 
ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenandra View Post
Haha you might get the cops called on you but it would be worth it! haha. I used to do that to a local walmart that took HORRIBLE care of their bettas! I printed up my own care sheet and hung it over the bettas, and also hung a letter to walmart telling them exactly what was wrong. Everyday they would take it down and every day I would go put them back up. Until finally I got to talk to the manager (I wanted them to approach me, that way I knew they were actually interested, pissed maybe, but still interested) I explained what was wrong, asked her how she expected to sell fish when they were all sick or dead and why they're care sheets had such false information. She was actually very nice, She took one of my care sheets talked to the big corporate guys got permission to put up a new "Walmart approved" care sheet with correct information. They have cut down on the number of bettas they order, and it's been 3 years now, the care sheets still there and everytime I go in the bettas are always in clean water, and none are ever sick or dead. One person can make a difference! You just have to try!

Such an inspiring story!! Its great!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #23 
Nikita

hmm maybe i will do it then ^-^ yay hope!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #24 
bettalover2033

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrazen View Post
I think we should start a petition online, or something similar.
Down with walmart fish!
i know how you feel about this and im totally with you on this but i want some of the fish in wal-mart only because thats the only place where i can get any fish at all.... i think that they should just have rules for the fish and have an inspector come over once every two weeks or so. you know what i mean because wal-mart fish have no rules at all but that you have to feed them. thats it but its terrible what they do to those poor fishies:(
Old 05-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #25 
sjones

Actually, I work in marketing and one advantage fro small pet stores or local pet stores that are not large chains is that by treating their bettas better they could advertise that as a way to get customers from the big chains like Walmart and Petco.
If they only realized this.
Also I have joined another betta forum and they have a whole thread on betta advocacy.
I'm not sure it is okay to name another forum on here but you could google betta advocacy and find it.
Basically, buying bettas supports the cycle of cruelty though I think. Well, do any breeders have thought on this?
Also, my friend used to work at a "pet store" and all the animals for sale go through similar abuse, for example hampsters, don't even get me started on the hampster hospital...

If you are interested in any of these thoughts I encourage you to do more research on how you can help end animal cruelty, it's all around us from the personal care products we use to the cleaning products we buy to even the petfood we feed our pets.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #26 
Nikita

O-O what about pet food?!! i have a kitty and i love him i don't wanna hurt him or others!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #27 
sjones

Oh boy, there's a lot of info on that but basically in order to be AAFCO certified testing is done on animals by petfood companies. Additionally, specific claims such as special diets for weight loss, or medical issues have to be tested on animals in a laboratory to substantiate claims. This means vivisection. Most commercial petfood companies test on animals (quietly). Brands like Purina, IAMS, Eukanuba etc etc. There is a website called Iamscruelty.org , and it is very graphic so view with caution. I feed my cats Wellness brand and also grain-free as cats (and dogs) can't digest vegetables (corn is often the number one ingredient in petfood because it is cheap). The use of these fillers has been shown to cause disease in cats such as urinary crystals and thyroid issues.
You can google all these things, I hope they don't ban me for posting this.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #28 
sjones

Of course I just found this link about Wellness
http://www.livingcrueltyfree.com/200...d-crueltyfree/
arg!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #29 
Nikita

hmmm, is there cruelty free betta food?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 AM   #30 
sjones

i started wondering that myself
Closed Thread