Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #11 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmndrJOE View Post
He's got a black head, dark blue body, and red fins (I have still yet to find out the name for the set of small fins on his underside closest to his head lol). Also, I don't know if u can see it in any of the pics, not only are they red, but the leading edge of those fins have a bright turquoise stripe. Very interesting indeed.
The girls like 'em that way!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #12 
Kittles

I do believe those are the pelvic, or ventral, fins. Very nice colors he has, too. Also, no surprise that he hangs by that plant all day; bettas love their shelter and territory, so the more fully your tank is planted or decorated, the better. Do update us with pictures when you get your live (I'm assuming?) plants in!
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #13 
cmndrJOE

Yes yes live plants indeed ^.^

Also going to look into getting a sponge filter system. I, for some reason, don't feel comfortable with no filtration what-so-ever. Maybe it's the saltwater enthusiast in me =P. I would like to get him a shelter of some sort, still tossing around the idea of the little pot, but I don't wanna crowd the little guy out lol. Maybe I'll find a small shelter at petsmart.

I guess I can look at it as modivation to get him into a 20gal like I want to. Then I'll have plenty of room to spoil him.

Maybe I can get my 55gal back from the guy I gave it to..... hmmm.... lol.

Sparkles, think i could find a sponge setup at petsmart? I think I read in someone elses thread that they'll cost about 7 bucks? Is that for the whole setup? Or just the sponge apparatus? Ohh yeah I need a light for the tank methinks. A little led light might work.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #14 
Starbright

Ooh very nice :) Seoul is beautiful! Can't wait to see more updates!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #15 
cmndrJOE

Someone mentioned a sticky about live plants, but I can't find it anywhere. Can ayone help me out?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #16 
Kittles

It must be on Tropical Fish Keeping. It's essentially our parent forum, and you can sign in with the username and password you use for this site. Warning: your mind will be blown.

Also, if you have live plants, you might need to invest in some sort of fluorescent bulb. I don't think an LED will support them.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #17 
sjones

gorgeous!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #18 
xxabc

Go straight to tropicalfishkeeping.com and scroll down to Aquarium Plants. All your plant questions should be answered over there.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #19 
cmndrJOE

Ok. I went and read up on plants. I think I need to reread everything. The jist of what I got out of it is, if I plant enough, the plants themselves should keep the water realtively clean right? I also read up on something called a hamburger mattenfilter. If I plant live plants, should I also look into making a mattenfilter for the tank? It is only a 2 gal tank, so would it be overkill to have that? I understand regular water changes will still be necessary, and I stocked up on bottled water today, but I just wanna make sure Seoul doesn't keel over anytime soon.

Also, what do I need to get if I decide to go with a sponge filter setup (I think the mattenfilter and sponge filter are essentally the same thing, right? Which would be more effective for a fully planted 2 gal tank?)

Sorry for all the noobish questions. I appreciate all the help and ecouragement ^.^
Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #20 
xxabc

I have no idea what that hamburger thing is. I think what stays in Plants, stays in Plants. Hahaha. Although many things are already overkill for a 2 gallon. For a sponge filter, everything should come together if you buy it.

Sponge. Air pump. Airline tubing. Pipe(?). ... I made mine, so I'm not even sure.

For man-made one, mine consists of Sponge, PVC Tube, Airline tubing and air pump. That's about it.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote