Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #21 
cmndrJOE

Ok cool. I'm gonna make a run up to the pet store tomorrow before I have to work and see if I can't pull together the parts and/or a plant or two. I suppose I could take apart the filter system I have now and use the pump in it for the sponge setup. I might just try to block the flow with some duct tape for now.

Good thing is, the water isn't cloudy still. I still want to get him out of this nasty tap water I have tho. Then again, a few plants may help clear the water too. I dunno, 79 cents a gallon for pure water isn't bad either lol.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #22 
Alienbetta1
Banned

He is very Handsome.You know my avatar is my Betta Alien.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #23 
cmndrJOE

Your fish is awesome looking.

Got some live plants into the tank today. I think I screwed some of them up. I think I need to switch out the gravel for sand... the plants don't sit very well in the gravel. I'm gonna pick up at least a 10 gal tank this weekend, if not a 20. Oh I got him a little cave too. I didn't snap any pics, as I had to take off for work.

On a much brighter note, I picked up my plants from petsmart. When I walked in, they were changing all the water in all the beta cups. Last week when I was in there, they were changing the water too. The 3 girls I've seen working the fish section are very knowledgable, and seem very passionate about fish in general. It's nice to know if I have questions, they can answer me. I'll snap some pics when I get home.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #24 
Mister Sparkle

Do you know what kind of plants you got?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #25 
Welsh

I just changed my 12 gall from gravel to sand and the plants just sit perfect =) I've heard that to plant plants in gravel it should be pea sized to prevent the water from going through or something :s and your betta is very pretty =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #26 
Kittles

Most aquarium gravel is pretty small, no? Typically? I've got a few different kinds of plants in my gravel and it sits well. Takes a bit of burying, but I've never had one randomly dislodge.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #27 
cmndrJOE

Don't know the types of plants I picked up, but they're way too long for my tank, I need to trim them lol. R u supposed to take the bands and cotton that's wrapped around the bottom of them? I left them on, figured they were like that at the store, won't hurt if they're n my tank.

Looked at the parts for a sponge filter.... do I need an air pump? Or power head? Air pumps don't look like they can suck up water... powerheads do, but are a bit on the pricey side for me right now.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #28 
Welsh

Yes, you need to take the sponge and cotton off. The roots will end up rotting which will be toxic to your tank. What I did was tie fishing line just before the roots so they wouldnt end up floating astray =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #29 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmndrJOE View Post
Air pumps don't look like they can suck up water... powerheads do, but are a bit on the pricey side for me right now.
No, they definitely do NOT suck up water! You want it push the water into the base of the sponge, and the air bubbles create the suction moving up the snorkel. It draws water through the sponge at a rate you'd actually be pretty surprised at!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #30 
cmndrJOE

Never would have thought about the fishing line, ill give that a try when I get home. Did u attach a weight to it at all?