Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #31 
cmndrJOE

Lemme see if I've got this right... air pump pushes air into sponge.... bubbles exiting sponge creates suction and filters water through it? So it's going to aerate the water anyway? Lol maybe if someone can take a pic of their whole setup I will understand.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #32 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmndrJOE View Post
Your fish is awesome looking.

Got some live plants into the tank today. I think I screwed some of them up. I think I need to switch out the gravel for sand... the plants don't sit very well in the gravel. I'm gonna pick up at least a 10 gal tank this weekend, if not a 20. Oh I got him a little cave too. I didn't snap any pics, as I had to take off for work.

On a much brighter note, I picked up my plants from petsmart. When I walked in, they were changing all the water in all the beta cups. Last week when I was in there, they were changing the water too. The 3 girls I've seen working the fish section are very knowledgable, and seem very passionate about fish in general. It's nice to know if I have questions, they can answer me. I'll snap some pics when I get home.
Thanks for calling him beautiful.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #33 
Kittles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmndrJOE View Post
Lemme see if I've got this right... air pump pushes air into sponge.... bubbles exiting sponge creates suction and filters water through it? So it's going to aerate the water anyway? Lol maybe if someone can take a pic of their whole setup I will understand.
I think that's how it works. I don't have one myself, but from what I understand: the air is pumped into the central tube which, when bubbling out, creates a vacuum which draws water in through the sponges and out of the central tube as well. I made a diagram of how I visualize it working. Accurate? Maybe.

Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #34 
cmndrJOE

Ohhhhh ok. I wasn't visualizing the 2nd tube! Lol.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #35 
Kittles

I only saw it in another of Mister Sparkle's posts elsewhere, and that's when it hit me.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #36 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Ummmm... i hate to burst your bubble but I think you might want to research some more on the bottled water. It's devoid of minerals that your plants and fish need. Please don't take my word for it but I'm pretty sure I've read that more than once here and elsewhere.

Your tap water should be fine with a really good water conditioner like Seachem Prime. Have you brought it to your LFS to have it tested?

And crushed coral would probably wreak havoc on your PH levels in a tank that small.

Other than that - your fish is a beauty.

Good luck.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #37 
xxabc

Romad, bottled water does have some minerals and whatnot, although not as much as tap water. Distilled is completely devoid of minerals.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #38 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
I think that's how it works. I don't have one myself, but from what I understand: the air is pumped into the central tube which, when bubbling out, creates a vacuum which draws water in through the sponges and out of the central tube as well. I made a diagram of how I visualize it working. Accurate? Maybe.

That is actually a really good representation of what it does! Well done!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #39 
cmndrJOE

Thanks for the heads up. Seachem prime? How much does that usually run?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #40 
xxabc

It's a conditioner. Very, very simply instructions to follow. Get the smallest bottle, it's simpler than the larger ones and will last you a very long time for a $4 bottle.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote