Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #1 
kuklachica

Persistent fin rot

Stats: 3 gallon eclipse tank, Amm - 0; NitrIte - 0; NitrAte - 5, pH right around 7. Temp 76-78. Water additions - Prime, aquarium salt, IAL.

My CT, Cielo, has been battling fin rot since March when I was gone for 5 days and his tank was not yet cycled. However, it seems to pop up now and then. It has manifested itself as broken rays, eventually shriveling off. What can I do to stop this? It's definitely not effecting him in any way, but aesthetically it's not great looking. He also likes to scrounge on the bottom, and let himself get sucked into the filter intake, which may or may not cause some of the larger ray breaks.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I'd rather not give him meds if not absolutely necessary.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #2 
Kittles

Let himself get sucked into the filter intake? That definitely should not be happening, lol. What kind of filter do you have in the tank? If it's a Tetra Whisper of some kind, you can usually put a strip of pantyhose over the intake slots, or maybe a thin sponge. If it's an external with a descending intake pipe you can usually put a sponge around them, or again, a piece of pantyhose.

Is there a chance it could be tail biting instead of fin rot? Your water sounds so clean, and with aquarium salt and Indian almond Leave (which is supposed to help treat fin rot, right?) present I can't imagine fin rot being an issue. Not that it couldn't, somehow, anyway. But, maybe there's just a chance he's stressed? Does he have a lot of plants or decor to hide in? Regardless, I'd suggest fixing tampering with your filter to prevent anymore accidental suctions and see if he doesn't improve.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #3 
kuklachica

No, he's not tail biting. I can actually see the whole progression of the "melting" starting the broken rays, shriveling, and eventually falling off.

It's an eclipse with the regular marineland filter. He doesn't actually get sucked up, obviously, but he rests against the intake "slats" sometimes and his fins might break from that. I've put pantyhose around it before but it tends to get clogged and then doesn't work properly.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You could get some sponge and fit it around the filter, that would probably work a lot better than the pantyhose.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #5 
kuklachica

I've tried that too and it clogs it even worse.

I don't think that is the problem though. what else could cause this?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #6 
kuklachica

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 
kuklachica

you can kind of see some stubby rays, and some bent ones.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Although your pH is not all that high I have found that with my CT I need to use lower pH and softer water or the rays will drop, how many IAL are you using and how often are you replacing them?

On my main CT breeders I have to keep them in rainwater with lots of native oaks leaves, pH in the 6 range KH & GH in the 20-30ppm range, not saying that is your CT problem but you may want to try add more IAL and maybe some peat moss or use rain water if it is safe to use in your area and see if that helps...just an idea...

Also changing the water everyday of at least 50% and turn the filter off and make sure nothing in the tank will snag his fin.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #9 
kuklachica

It is a 3 gallon tank and I have one of the SMALL IALs in the filter in a nylon so it doesn't get messy. I change it once a week when I do a 50% WC.

I will try to change the water every other day 50%. Should I add more IAL or change it more often? It barely tints the water.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #10 
Alienbetta1
Banned

You should get a 5 gallon tank that might help.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote