Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E the 3g is just fine for a single Betta....

I would use enough of the IAL to stain the water to a nice amber color, tear them up in pieces if you don't already and if you have carbon in the filter remove it and IMO I would turn the filter off the current can cause fin damage and IMO/E more water changes are better anyway especially for the CT delicate fins.

You can pre-mix your water and keep IAL in the pre-mix, you can even make a tea out of the IAL just pour hot not boiling water over them and let them steep 5 min or so, dump that water and repeat to get all the tannins out of the leaf and keep in a clean jug, dilute and use for water changes.

I use native oak leave, they do the same as the IAL, I have used the IAL in the past and I used 1 large to 5g of water and left them in the tank until they fell apart, I do the same with the oak leave, I like the nylon idea that would make for easy cleanup...lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #12 
kuklachica

Should I put him in my divided 15 gallon (divided 4 ways) to give him a little more room?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

I don't think space is your problem at all.

Here is an awesome sponge you can put over your intake. I've had one on mine for months with absolutely no problem (but I do take it off and rinse it during water changes). You can get it at petsmart for about $2.50. I use them on all my filters with intake tubes.

One thing I would try is to stop using the salt. Salt hardens the water while IAL softens the water. Since bettas prefer the softer water I would use only the IAL to see how it works, just keep an eye on your pH to make sure it doesn't change drastically.

Do you have your out flow buffered? That may help also.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #14 
kuklachica

I tried that sponge and it really seemed to muck up quickly. I'll try it again though.

I'll try leaving the salt out and only adding the IAL.

Jackie- what filter insert do you use in your eclipse? do you use the one that came with it or did you replace it with something else?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

Right now I'm still using the one it came with. After it gets worn out I'll be removing it and just putting open pore sponge in there and holding it in with rubber bands.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote