Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with doggyhog and oldfishlady about breeding. One of our members likes to say research until your brain hurts. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #12 
hcgirl15

research is what i am planning on doing for a week or so before i really take any action so yeah thanks though you all are so helpful
hcgirl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #13 
doggyhog

I'm sorry but your gonna need more research then just a week of research. You REALLY need to know what your doing..

Start out at

Bettatalk.com
bettysplendens.com
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #14 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Research for like a month!!
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

Haha.. I've been researching breeding for over a year now and still haven't spawned. IMO you really have to have a goal for what you want out of the spawn, you have to know the genetics behind the spawn, and you have to know where you are going to find homes for the fry. Bringing new life into the world is a big thing and should be taken very seriously.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #16 
doggyhog

Exactly. :)

I have been researching for almost a year too. I have spawned mine, but the male ate the eggs. I might try again if I can make sure this isn't a disease that killed Jello and colette.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #17 
xxabc

For me, researching includes time. Wait at least a few months. If this is your very first betta, then definitely wait longer. I agree, a week is nowhere near enough unless you're that kind of ready-to-go person. You need to know the best ways to heal a fish quickly. Have cycled tanks at the ready. Have lots and lots of money at the ready, and lots of room. Understand that medications aren't the best way to go most of the time. Etc, etc, etc. It's not like breeding platies.

Having bettas for an extended amount of time allows you to get more one-on-one experience with them, because they DO have different personalities. They're not all the same (which can make it more difficult). Learn the difference between a shy betta and an outgoing betta, etc, etc, etc.

Hypothetically speaking, what if you are succesful? Will you have room for 20 males? And a large sorority for the other females? Maybe even two sororities? Where will they go? I'm just giving situations. I'd rather not hear you get in trouble from breeding (I've seen it many times before).

Sorry to seem so straightforward! Just want to make sure.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #18 
beta novice

you must be one of the lucky ones i watched a youtube vid of 5/6 of these beta's at walmart dead
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #19 
hcgirl15

my male betta sky yesterday began acting werid i noticed he had a tail deformity as in no tail at all and he bagan floating and swimming like he was having a seizure i cried for an hour then mom had me take him back and exchange him for a health one which i named mr. miaigi. my female and him are thriving, i am not attempting to breed for a while i have others gathering research for me as well b/c i have finals in biology comeing up this friday.
hcgirl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #20 
beta novice

good idea see walmart has some messed up beta's
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote