Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #1 
Mppsu2003

How long without food...

Hello,

I've asked this before but am looking for a solid answer. Generally speaking, how long can Betta go without eating? I've left them over the weekend before but that was really only one day without eating. I have an upcoming wedding and am planning to leave Thursday and return Sunday, so it would be two days without eating. Is that okay?

I had heard something about feeding blocks or something like that...is that a good option?
Mppsu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mppsu2003 View Post
Hello,

I've asked this before but am looking for a solid answer. Generally speaking, how long can Betta go without eating? I've left them over the weekend before but that was really only one day without eating. I have an upcoming wedding and am planning to leave Thursday and return Sunday, so it would be two days without eating. Is that okay?

I had heard something about feeding blocks or something like that...is that a good option?
yes he will be just fine. dont worry about feeding blocks.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

He will be more than fine for 2 days. I've left mine without food for up to a week with no ill effects. Don't ever bother with feeding blocks. Either your betta will overstuff himself on it and produce a ton of poop to foul up the water, or your betta won't see it as food and it will sit there all while you are gone fouling up the water. All those lead to is dirty water and sometimes dead fish.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 07-01-2012 at 11:59 AM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

I've seen that they can go up to almost a month without food. Which does actually make sense...If they're stuck in a rice paddy and trying to breed, then it could easily be hit-or-miss on the food availability, so naturally their metabolism would be slower/and they'd be able to eat less. I think this also identifies why so many of them kept in tanks get bloat and dropsy and things of that nature from over-feeding. :)

Oh, and many people rec'd that you fast them a day or two every week anyway just to keep their insides moving. :)

Have fun at the wedding! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #5 
Mppsu2003

Final opinion?

Hey guys, after looking at things it looks like the Betta will be without food for four days (Wed-Sat). I would be able to feed him on Tuesday and again on Sunday. Should that be okay, or am I better off dropping one of the food blocks into the water?
Mppsu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 
ihatefirewalls

Four days is no issue. Just feed him a relatively large meal before you leave.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

I agree. Four days is easily done as I have done this multiple times before. Avoid the food block and all the hassles they bring.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #8 
Kenny G

Betta's can go up to 3 weeks without eating so 4 days is fine if you feed them before you leave and when you come back all will be well. Also as stated from others stay away from food blocks they can get messy and be a nightmare to clean up. If you feel 4 days is to long for them to go without food then buy the Tetra Slow Release Feeders. This is a much better option.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #9 
jeffegg2

Cool

I have a couple of these that I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Resun-AF-2009D...ic+fish+feeder

Petco also has the same thing rebranded...
I say no to any type of block feeder....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #10 
LizzyP

Yeah, I agree with the no feeding block. They seem messy and foul up tanks.

I left my betta from Saturday-Monday night with no food because we had no power and I couldn't change his water so I didn't want the ammonia build up from all the poop. He was mad, but he survived.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote