Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 
Narnian

Unhappy Newbie needs serious help

Quick, run and hide! "Narnian" is asking another dumb/newbie question!
My brain wants to explode from info overload at the moment.

Ok, here's the deal. I am considering the 5 gallon eclipse tank, or a 10 gallon regular glass aquarium. I already have a spare tank, in good condition, that could be used, but could anyone give me a clue of everything I would need to buy to make a complete 10 gallon suitable betta tank? (like the one they sell in the kit) I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper or not.

I already have a 25 wt. heater. PLEASE give me the exact names of items needed for filter, air pump, hood, etc. Links would be even better. I am trying to buy everything on Amazon, if possible. Thanks so so much! I am forever in your debt. LOL!
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #2 
Welsh

Don't worry about asking too many questions, that's how we all learn =) plus I am the forum nag here so you can't take that status away from me :P
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 
Narnian

Lol! Thank you very much Welsh! I'm afraid of people becoming annoyed, but truly we all start at the bottom and need to learn, right? :) I just want to be the best fishie mommy so my little guy or gal will be happy.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #4 
DanMarion

I have my betta in a 10 gallon aquarium with 3 albino corys and 2 african dwarf frogs.

I would personally suggest against an airstone in your betta tank, unless you get a pump with an adjustable flow and turn it way down.

I use this filter: Its the Aqueon Quietflow 10 Power filter
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquariu...7&sr=1-1-fkmr1

And this hood:
http://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aqua...3521784&sr=1-4

This kit has pretty much everything you need to keep a betta. Its the same thing I bought. All I did was upgrade the lights to CFLs.
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #5 
Welsh

Your very welcome, people are really helpful and friendly here, luckily for us =) so don't be afraid to ask questions, like you said everyone starts at the bottom.

As for your question I was going to answer it but didn't quite understand what you mean't, the reason why I ask and dont often answer a question lol

However, I would reccommend a sponge filter as these are really easy to clean and are extremely quiet =)

Last edited by Welsh; 05-10-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #6 
Narnian

Sorry Welsh, I tend to babble too much. I'm asking, specifically, for all the necessary equipment to set up a 10 gallon tank......like filter, pump, etc. I already have the glass tank, so don't need a kit that comes with one. :) EDIT: A sponge filter?........Oh dear, I'm so confused what that is and how to use it!

DanMarion: Thank you very much! Do you know how that filter differs from the " Whisper power filter 10" that comes with most kits? I'm guessing it's more silent? So you're saying I just need a filter, hood, and no pump? (I don't even know what all this equipment is for......THAT'S how much of a newbie I am! LOL)

Last edited by Narnian; 05-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnian View Post
EDIT: A sponge filter?........Oh dear, I'm so confused what that is and how to use it!
sponge filters are 100x easier and cheaper than power filters. Just hook it up to a small air pump, and let it run. Each week, squeeze out the sponge into some old aquarium water and then put right back in the aquarium. It provides mechanical and biological filtration, requires no cartridges to be replaced, and has absolutely minimal current. Not to mention that it's a LOT cheaper than other filters. Do a Google search for "Lee's triangle sponge filter". You'll find plenty of sources. I think the most you'll pay in the end is about $12.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #8 
DanMarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnian View Post

DanMarion: Thank you very much! Do you know how that filter differs from the " Whisper power filter 10" that comes with most kits? I'm guessing it's more silent? So you're saying I just need a filter, hood, and no pump? (I don't even know what all this equipment is for......THAT'S how much of a newbie I am! LOL)

It is the very same filter that comes in the kit. I posted the link to the filter alone because you said you had an aquarium already. And you can get an air pump if you'd like, but I wouldn't get just any cheap pump. Make sure that if you get an air pump and stone that the pump is adjustable so you can turn it down.
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #9 
Narnian

*Is even more confused now* (I didn't know that was possible!)

Mister Sparkle......um, are there any directions or pictures on how to go about putting a sponge filter together? It sounds a bit confusing. Like, if anyone has it set up in their aquarium, I'd like to see it.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #10 
Welsh

Its easy to put together, all you gots to do is take the top off the filter and pop in the sponge and viola bobs your uncle :p I would take pics but I'm sure someone will beat me to it lol

Oh and a little airline thing comes with it which you just attach to a nozzle, I hardly bother with mine though it usually just comes off.

Last edited by Welsh; 05-10-2010 at 05:09 PM.