Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #11 
Mister Sparkle

This is a really big sponge filter, which I would use for angelfish or discuss. But the concept is the same. You just connect the air-line to the little tube running alongside the "snorkel", which is where the air and water will flow up and out of the filter. It's a very simple concept, rather ingenious when you think about it.

Here's mine, which is basically the same as what I recommended to you, except the triangle one is a little bit bigger. This is in a 1-gallon:

Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #12 
Narnian

Thanks both of you! I watched videos on Youtube, trying to understand "sponge filters" a bit more. Unfortunately, I think it looks tacky tacky tacky!!! (and I'm not confident in my abilities to set one up.)

So I think I'll go with the Aqueon Quietflow 10 Power filter link that Dan Marion sent. :) At least it's pretty foolproof for a newbie to setup. Maybe down the road I can try to make a sponge filter.

So it looks like I just have to buy 2 things? (filter and hood) Hopefully?
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #13 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnian View Post
I think it looks tacky tacky tacky!!!
Well, thbbbbt @ you too!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #14 
Narnian

OH shoot! I forgot to say that YOUR sponge filter picture isn't showing up for me, Mister Sparkle. :( I only could see the first APESX one. (which I didn't think looked bad.)

Haha sorry, I meant the ones in the Youtube videos looked tacky, as they were made out of waterbottles, haircurlers, etc etc.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #15 
Narnian

Hmm, would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/AQUARIUM-TECHN...3534094&sr=8-1

^That doesn't look too bad. hehe. So I can use JUST a sponge filter, in a 10 gallon, and it would be sufficient, or I'd have to use it besides the filter???

Another question: Does this HAVE to show/be above gravel, or can it go under gravel? I read somewhere that you can put it under gravel, but I'm not sure how it would still work.

Last edited by Narnian; 05-10-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #16 
Mister Sparkle

Yes, you can use JUST the sponge filter. You can bury the base, but you want the sponge itself to be above the gravel, where it can filter detritous from the water.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #17 
xxabc

Hence the "filter" in "sponge filter", haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #18 
Jupiter

I'm not exactly sure if a 25 watt heater will be strong enough for a 10 gallon. I think you need 50? Not sure...it will be okay for a 5 gallon, though.

Apart from that, and a filter (which already seems to be covered), you should get a thermometer to measure the temperature of the tank. Some sort of hiding spot for your betta, like a cave, and some plants. Most people prefer silk or real plants (though those require some upkeep), but plastic plants are alright so lang as there are no sharp parts to tear a betta's fins.

Do you have water condtioner and food? You should also get a test kit. I recommend API's master test kit.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote