Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #1 
Sassington

I think he has a "ritual" lol..

So, my Thomas hangs out mainly on one side of his tank and seems to have an OCD ritual of swimming up over the plant leaves resting against the side of the glass and diving down to the bottom, swimming under the leaves through a hidey spot, circling up over the leaves, circling down to the bottom... Repeat repeat repeat... This could go on for a lonnng time before he'll finally swim across the tank to the other side to patrol the harbor, never acknowledging the new hidey prop I just bought him (hrrrumph) before going back and doing his ritual all over again... Cute but perplexing :o) I'm starting to wonder if he's stressed or playing... Hmmmm...

Does your Betta have a ritual?
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

It must be a betta thing, all the bettas I've ever owned have had their own little "patterns" as well! My female always swims the whole length of the front of her tank in horizontal lines, back and forth, over and over and over again; and my male likes to swim along the left side of the tank, sort of in circles, under his plants and along the bottom =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #3 
Ksiezniczka

Mine likes to swim around the entire tank counterclockwise. Over and over. Every day.

Also sometimes I catch him just staring at the big rock I have in there. He is fascinated by it for some reason. Does that count?
Ksiezniczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #4 
Thesharpestlives

i was wondering about betta's "rituals" too o.o Zipper always moves his floating plants to the SAME spot every day o.o
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #5 
TigerRegalia

Guess what?? My betta's name is also Thomas, and, I kid you not, he has the EXACT same routine as yours, Sassington!! I came across this post by typing in "betta fish swimming against plant in circles" into Google. How incredibly bizarre! I feel better now knowing that my Thomas isn't the only one who is quite obsessive compulsive about his routine
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote