Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #1 
Roguepsycho666

Question Salt?

Just an update, Spawn is getting better ^_^ the ick is slowly going away, the temp is at 80F and we are using the salt. On the packet and websites etc it says not to use the salt for more than 10 days, just curious why that is, not that I'm planning to use it for longer heh.

Just a couple of pictures so you can see my lovely boy getting better ^_^ thank you so much for all the advice, you've saved my Betta ^_^

Roguepsycho666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #2 
creamcookie

Is it just aquarium salt? Because I have a betta in a ten gal and and half a teaspoon of aquarium salt anyways because apparantly its good for them... anyways thats good that your fish is healing!
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #3 
Roguepsycho666

yeah it's aquarium salt, I thought you weren't meant to keep adding salt to the water, I have a 5 gallon tank and we add half a teaspoon when we do a 10% water change. I was told not to do it for more than 10 days, I think I'm confusing myself heh
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #4 
smallvle

i started using aquarium salt after seuss got fin rot from a ripped fin (stupid plastic plants!) and then i heard that it was supposed to be good for them so he's had it in his water for, oh, maybe 2 months now? his fins have almost completely healed and then i read somewhere on here that leaving salt in betta's tanks for too long will damage their kidneys. so just as i was weaning him off the salt his ripped his fins again, (now he JUST has a silk plant! argg...) so i'm keeping him on the salt till his fins start to heal.

anyway... my point is, i think you can keep them on salt for a while, but it's not healthy to keep it in the water for months and months and months. if that helped. : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #5 
Roguepsycho666

Spawn ripped his fins the other day, he's been fine with plastic plants and then suddenly he torn a fin, between the fin and the ick it looks like i'm beating him heh, poor little guy. I'll keep using the salt until he's healed then, that did help me some, thank you ^_^
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #6 
smallvle

i'm glad it helped. and i know what you mean. i bought a "better" plastic plant after the first accident and ran it over pantyhoes and everything then one morning after he was finally healing, i noticed two new holes in his fins. now i've decided that it's better to spend a couple more bucks for a silk plant. : ( live and learn i guess..
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #7 
Roguepsycho666

very true, i find it had to find silk plants i like though, there are loads of plastic ones, but not so many silk ones, i need to find better stores i guess heh
Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #8 
cmndrJOE

Silly question, where is the ich on him? I'm just asking because I have no idea what it looks like, and I wanna keep an eye out for my boy. Is it the fact that his fins are transparent? My boy's fins re transparent up front too...well not totally, but the outer edges of them are. Is that ich? Or is that just the way he is?
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #9 
Kittles

Lol. The transparency is not ich, the white dots covering his body and fins are.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #10 
cmndrJOE

Lmao ok cool thanks! Should I be worried about transparent fins?
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, salt