Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #1 
Rain Drop

Kovu needs help! D':

So it started awhile ago where Kovu got this weird fuzzy, stringy, white stuff on his rays. I used Maracyn two, but didn't finish the whole length of the treatment since I ran out. It did seem to clear it up though, so I didn't worry about it. MISTAKE.
Last week it came back, and when I went to my lfs, they only sold M2 in these huge packs that were super expensive. So I left. I tried using what meds I had left which was Jungle Fungus Clear, but on the third day of treatment (yesterday) he has even more white stringy stuff all over his rays (and some holes) and a patch of scales on his head are gone! crapcrapcrap!!
I did a water change, so he's not as pale anymore, and he's still eating and going for air.....but would it be safe to try and use M2 on him again (since that's the only thing that seems rid of the white stuff)?
Would it burn/harm his exposed skin?
Should I wait a few days before I do the M2 again?
I also have some bettafix. I know it's not really a fix, but it does keep wounds clean. Would that be okay to use because of the lack of scales on his head and holes in his fins?
Would salt be good too (I imagine that would burn for sure)?
ANNDDDDD......Do scales grow back? D: How longggg????

Thanks for reading!
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh noo I'm sorry your guy isn't doing good. :( I would clean out his water 100%, give him a full day without meds than start him back on M2. You could start it right away, but he could have a bad reaction to it. I'd normally say give him a couple days in regular water but since he's really sick, you can't do that. I would hold off on aquarium salt. Sorry I can't give you more advice, both of my fish that had stringy things on them passed away before the medication worked. :( It could be columnaris which is very aggressive.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #3 
Rain Drop

It could be columnaris, but I'm still not sure.....Thank-you for your advice! Anyone else is still free to chip in with some more advice!!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #4 
doggyhog

It sounds like Columnaris to me too. I would start on the Maracyn 2 ASAP! Also, make sure that not even a drop of his water gets near your other fish! It's highly contagious!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #5 
Rain Drop

Okay! I won't use the same nets or cups! D: