Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #1 
McAttack

Real dumb tank cleaning question

Hi everybody,

Real dumb question here. I'm looking to set up a small 5gal tank for a betta and possibly move a small bristlenose pleco from my other tank to this one, and i have a simple question. How do you guys clean the substrate in your small betta tanks? I use something like the python vacuum that attaches to my kitchen sink for my bigger tank, but I get the feeling that if I use this in a 5Gal tank i'll destroy it when I start it!

Sorry for such a dumb question, but I want to be informed before I set up the tank to plan it right. I want a planted tank for the little guy.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Not a dumb question.....
On smaller tanks you can get the smaller siphons that will work well or make your own with some airline hose and chopstick or something that will stiffen about 8-12in of the airline hose that you use in the water, however, since you plan on making this a planted tank you don't want to siphon the substrate anyway or at least in the areas with plant roots, all that mulm is great plant food....lol....

I hover over heavy mulm areas with my homemade siphon when it gets deep or start to look bad in my smaller planted tanks without filtration
You can also just use a cup and dip the water, but true the smaller tanks do take special treatment so not to remove too much water too fast before you can clean.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #3 
Rain Drop

Not a dumb question!

I use a siphon like this;;

People also use a turkey baster to suck up small debris in between water changes.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #4 
Sarada

I use the same as Rain Drop...bought it at Walmart.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #5 
Jupiter

I use a large turkey baster in my tanks.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 
TheJadeBetta

I did have the one from walmart. But I couldn't get it to work. So I got this one: http://www.petco.com/product/104980/...t=OnSiteSearch Works Wonderfully.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #7 
McAttack

Thanks a lot! I'll set something up soon and start cycling. Let my niece pick out the fish next week or something.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #8 
Sella

I like the Fluval siphons the best. (I have three different types) Stay away from topfin siphons, they are cheap and fall apart.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote