Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #1 
LittleNerdBot

Lightbulb Betta care And supplies

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and am going to get a betta fish quite soon. I am on a really tight budget and already have a 2.65 gallon tank. I need really the essentials and where to get them at retail stores. Can someone tell me the deal with putting stuff in tap water to make it clean? Please give me all the basics in care and supplies. Thank you. P.S. This is for a science experiment and will not harm the fish in any way. It's more of a phsychological thing. Thanks again! Also, any pictures of items and your fish would be appreciated!
LittleNerdBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #2 
cmndrJOE

Honestly..... I spent 20 bucks on a goldfish tank setup, and put a betta instead of a goldfish into it. It came with a 2 gal tank, water conditioner, a filter system, and some fish flakes. Its the "marina 7" set and its available at petsmart. For 30 bucks total, I got that setup, a betta, and betta food.

Hope that helps a bit.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

Make sure to get a heater! I LOVE my MarineLand 10W...they're going to be in all my nanos before too long! But it's a bit on the expensive side. I hear good things about the Stealth heaters, which are little less expensive...but I think the smallest one they make is 25W. It should work OK, though.

Water conditioner is an essential piece you'll need. A good, basic one will remove the chlorine and some heavy metals from your tap water. You might want to get a gravel vac for water changes, as you'll want to change about 50% of the water in the aquarium about every three days for best water quality. The betta will need something to hide behind (plant, cave, decorations) and to stake out as its "territory". It will need food. That's pretty much it for the essentials.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

I agree with mister sparkle.

For conditioners I like Prime and for a 2 gallon tank it will last forever. I use topfin heaters in my tanks (a 25 watt will do fine in a 2 gallon).. they're a little cheaper than steal or visitherm but I've never had problems with my heater.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta care, betta for beginners