Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #1 
Mercury

Looking For Feedback & Advice

Hi everyone,

I just finished planting my Betta's tank, and tried my first scaping too. I'm looking for some advice as to what I should be adding from now on to keep the plants green and healthy.

Here is the tank that I just finished:

It's my first time with trying to do some proper planting and making the tank look more natural. The plants I have in there are some micro sword, java fern, java moss, anubias bateri and some hygrophila corymbosa. I also have two small marimo moss balls.

What would I need to add weekly to keep them in good condition?

Thanks for your help.
Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #2 
vaporeon

It looks really pretty! I love java fern. Unfortunately I don't know much about planted tanks but I'm pretty sure the marimo balls are fine on their own with sunlight.
vaporeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

Very nice!

Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is a good all around fertilizer. You dose it once or twice a week and that's really all you need. Some people recommend Seachem Excel which is a liquid carbon source and not a fertilizer. If you decide to try it I would caution to use it half strength every other day to see how your plants react. And never double dose it as suggested on the bottle for the initial dose and after major water changes.

If you have plants in the substrate you could use root tabs; especially if you get any sort of Sword which are heavy root feeders.

It's my opinion that you're wise to start out with a few plants until you get the hang of it....then you can go crazy.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #4 
Mercury

Thank you both! I will get some Seachem tomorrow and put some in when I do my next water change.

The micro sword at the front was extremely hard to plant, as it kept floating when I tried to stick the roots in, haha. I will give it a few weeks and see how these plants do, and then may add more in the future. I heard these plants were quite easy to care for, so I though I'd start small.
Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #5 
Tony2632

Nice plant choices, I definitely add some flourish comprehensive and maybe some root tabs to help with your root feeders. I can't wait till you post up more pictures when it fills in more.
Tony2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #6 
Islandgaliam

I have learned from experience that I should have started small - lol. You tank looks great!
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #7 
Tony2632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgaliam View Post
I have learned from experience that I should have started small - lol. You tank looks great!
Same here I jumped right in and I had sooo many problems lol.
Tony2632 is offline   Reply With Quote