Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #1 
Narnian

Question Heater questions

Ok, so I stumbled on a HUGE deal, on the Marineland 25 wt. stealth heater, fully submersible, has a thermostat, and safety shut-off for up to 8 gallons.

Original price = $30.00
1st Clearance = $27.00
2nd Clearance = $6.00
Final price for me = $4.24 (with coupon :P )

At the time, I was planning to get a 5 gallon tank, so this was perfect. (I haven't ruled it out yet though.) But now I'm tossing around the idea of a 10 gallon tank. My question is, would this heater still heat up the water a few degrees? I absolutely can not spend $30 for a 50 wt. one, so it's pretty much this one or nothing. Do you think this would still be ok?

Also, does anyone have any tips on heater safety to share?
I am terrified of starting a fire or electrocuting myself, and am not sure how to use this.

1. Am I able to put my hands in the water, when the heater is in, and turned on, or do I unplug it first?

2. Am I supposed to leave the thermostat knob IN the water, or OUT of it?

3. What if plants touch it? (gonna try to hide it with decor and such)

4. What type of mistake would cause a fire?

-------------

Thank you thank you! We always fear what we don't know, right? So please help me not fear my heater!
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #2 
Kaisa

stealth heaters one of the best so I would get it if you could. I am also paranoid about starting a fire with all my equipt and burning my house down so Im just extra careful.

The stealths are submirsable so you can have the whole thing under water but I always keep the nob out because I dont like having that wire under water, water and electricty doesn't mix good with me lol. They say to unplugg it before you put your hands/arms in but i think you're fish would be fried before you got shocked if something was wrong.

the only other thing i can think of is if you get a plastic/acrylic tank make sure thtat the heater is never resting or touching against the sides of the tank.
Kaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #3 
Narnian

Quote:
stealth heaters one of the best so I would get it if you could
Sorry, I'm a bit confused when you say "get it"? I already bought the 25 wt. stealth, but was saying I can't afford to buy another one that is 50 wt.

And thanks for explaining about the knob thing too, and for the reminder about keeping it off acrylic. :)

Last edited by Narnian; 05-12-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added something.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 
Kaisa

oops sorry :( so you want to know if 25w would be okay in a 10g?

IMO it should be fine. I run a 25w elite submirsable in a 10g and it heats it up fine. If your house is freezing cold all the time you might want to consider the the 50w
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #5 
Narnian

^Thank you Kaisa! My room is pretty warm, so like you said, hopefully it will work. Glad to hear it works for you!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

It should be fine. Don't worry about fires/electrocution. Just make sure that no water gets from the heater to the plug in the wall and you'll be fine. You can completely submerge the heater and I suggest you do so. You want the heater to be as close to the center of the tank as possible to help the heat diffuse evenly.

Heaters are designed not to melt plastic tanks or plants or anything else in the water so don't worry about it melting anything. Unless its defective it won't melt any part of the tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #7 
Narnian

^Thank you very much! So if I have to clean the tank with a siphon or algae scraper, you all are saying I don't have to unplug anything before having my hands in the water, correct? Sorry for still being confused on this issue.

Last edited by Narnian; 05-12-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #8 
Kaisa

its recommended you unplug it but iim pretty sure if there was any unsafe electricity runing through the water your fish would be fried first.

I've kept fish for 5 years now and never unplugged anything before sticking my hands and arms in the tank. You should unplug the heater during water changes though of course. even the stealths which are plastic and have an auto shut off when out of water i think it messes with their mechanisms.. i was reading a while ago that marineland stealths are known to explode and it was thought that running them out of water was a factor.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #9 
Narnian

Explode?????? YIKES! Thanks for the warning!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #10 
Kaisa

yeah ... just google stealth heater exploding

Tags
10 gallon, 10 wt, heater, safety