Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #11 
xxabc

1. Am I able to put my hands in the water, when the heater is in, and turned on, or do I unplug it first?

I actually put my hands in while it's plugged in. I have touch it plenty of times too...but I'm sort of reckless. Really, the makers of the standard aquarium heaters must have considered that. If it burns you, it burns your fish, it burns the plants, etc... poorly though out. Give some credit, hahaha (just saying, no insult intended!)

2. Am I supposed to leave the thermostat knob IN the water, or OUT of it?

Can't answer - I don't use that type. But I'm 95% sure that should be in the instructions.

3. What if plants touch it? (gonna try to hide it with decor and such)

Nothing happens. It will not melt. Or anything.

4. What type of mistake would cause a fire?

Leaving it out while plugged in (ESPECIALLY on flammable surface, and possible on carpet [I've seen carpet burns]). If long enough a fire will ensue... although I cannot say how long is "how long." However, if you leave it out and it's plugged in, you WILL burn yourself because (people say:) it burns like bejeezus out of water.

Also, if you lower your water levels and the heater is still on (this especially goes for 100% submersible heaters) and the heater is partly out of water, problems may happen. It could affect the heater itself negatively (not function properly afterwards if done too many times). It SHOULD shut off once out of water, but I never take that for granted.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I unplug my filter and heater during water changes just to be cautious. Its also not recommended to leave the heater on during water changes because it can fry the heater if the water level goes below the minimum water line.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, 10 wt, heater, safety