Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #1 
zeppelfloyd

Unhappy What am I doing wrong??

My second betta died last night. The only thing I have ever done that was against general advice was having a small tank. Its a half gallon and I have wanted to upgrade asap, but I've lost two fish in two weeks before I had a chance. They both came from Petsmart and both ended up acting the exact same. They got water changes as they needed them, I put things outside their tank for them to look at.

However, both fish stopped eating after 2 days, seemed to dart around alot, and became much less responsive to interaction from myself (like a finger on the outside of the tank). And then after a little while, the darting would stop, they just kinda glided around, which I thought was normal betta behavior (I had heard alot that they are very lazy). I had just purchased some melafix, aquarium salt, bloodworms, and a turkey baster I was going to use to clean the nastiness between water changes, but this morning I woke up to dead fish #2.

Keep in mind that I never kept them together, these are two totally separate fish that I got from Petsmart with their 14 day exchange program, they just happened to act the same. Is it possible that I am doing something horribly wrong? It is extremely frustrating that 7 year old children can have a betta live for 100 years but I, a 20 year old can't make one live for a week. I want to get a bigger tank before I try again... one with a heater and filter if possible, but is there anything I could be doing wrong?
zeppelfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having some bad luck.....a few questions.....

how much and how often did you change the water and what kind if any additives did you use, are you on city water supply?
What was the fish bowl used for or was it bought new for the fish, also how and what did you clean it with?
What was the water temp?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #3 
zeppelfloyd

I was doing partial water changes every other day, I use city water but I treat it properly. No additives other than the water treatment. When I clean the tank I just use a washcloth with some clean water on it and just rub everything down really well, clean off the larger rocks and try to get his little bit of gravel as clean as possible. However, I think the temperature is what the problem was. For some reason my house is particularly cool today, or at least feels like it is. I think my best option is just to get a 1-2 gallon tank that comes with some sort of heater.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

True about the temp, however, unless the temp got into the low 70's and lower it usually will not kill them like that in that short of time.
IMO your care on the half gallon is fine and you treat your water....so.....maybe just bad fish to start.....
Good idea on getting a bigger tank so you can heat it

One more thing....if the half gallon did not have a cover...could something have gotten in the tank and contaminate it???? even something on your hands that touched the water or food???? just thoughts......sometimes even the smallest amount of soap residue can cause things to crash.....some fish are more sensitive than others...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #5 
zeppelfloyd

that is possible. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try to save a bit of cash and pick up something on the larger side before I go for another betta.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #6 
Cloelia

You may have just gotten some bad fish. The size and temperature (it needs to be in the 50s or lower to kill them in a few days) wouldn't have killed them; they may not have thrived, but they wouldn't have died-they're pretty hardy. You may want to check your ammonia levels, though.
Cloelia is offline   Reply With Quote