Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #1 
Elsch

Puffy

I was just wondering...my male betta sometimes puffs his gills out at me when I approach his tank...I read somewhere that this is an aggressive stance...does this mean he hates me?
Elsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #2 
smallvle

no, not at all. that is called "flaring" and IMO it's the most beautiful thing about bettas. they do that to scare off other bettas and it's like showing that this is "their" territory. you can even hold up a mirror to your betta's tank for a few minutes a day and let it flare at his reflection for exercise, just stop if he's getting overexcited (like trying to jump out of the water or something.) it's basically just a "hey, i'm the bigger guy here, so be scared of me!" thing. : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #3 
Elsch

oh I see! thanks a lot for your reply. I was worried he was mad at me or something because I was doing something wrong ^^;
Elsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #4 
smallvle

lol, no. : ) he still loves you. : ) i love making seuss flare, (of course as you can see from my avitar, he thinks he's huge and scary and flares at everything!) but they're so beautiful when their fins all puff out and they look so majestic. : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote