is this fin rot?
bluepillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #2 
bluepillow

tank has been showing funky brown stuff

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Your betta is beautiful! It looks like he bit his tail to me. Have you even seen him "chasing" his tail? Warm, clean water and aquarium salt will heal him right up. As a side note, I've owned that pink plastic plant and it ripped up my bettas fins. Silk plants are a lot safer.

The brown stuff is algae which thrives in light so if you keep your tank light on for more than 8 hours a day or the tank is right by a window you get algae. It goes away when you scrub it. What size tank is he in? How often do you do water changes?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #4 
bluepillow

Thank you! I've never seen him chasing his tail. I went to Petsmart and got one of those crappy betta bowls to use as a temporary hospital tank since antibiotics shouldn't be used with carbon filters. I put a few drops of Melafix and some aquarium salt in treated water and he's sitting there right now. I didn't put any gravel in there to see if he's digesting.

His original tank is 3 gallons and I do regular (about 2/week) 50% water changes. I use aquarium salt and I feed him two pellets daily, one in the morning one at night. His light is usually on about 8 hours/day, sometimes a little more when I get home from school later.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Do you use a syphon to pick up the poop on the bottom? I would do one 100% water change once a week and 50% if you wanted. I would get him out of the water that has the Melafix in it. You should never use medication unless he's really sick or aquarium salt hasn't worked. Aquarium salt will heal his fins right up, you don't need to use medication. Melafix is one of the controversial medications. I've heard good and bad things about it, but more bad. Some people have claimed that Melafix has killed their fish, but it could've been because the fish was very sick. As long as you keep his water warm and clean, he'll be fine.

You can put the salt in the 3G just make sure you put the salt in a container first to let the crystals dissolve because the crystals can damage the fish. Warm water and stirring it will help dissolve it quicker. Salt never fully dissolves so "put in what you take out" so you don't over-due it.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #6 
bluepillow

Yes I clean the bottom with a syphon. Taking him out right away.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh ok, than your water changing schedule is good. When I first came on this website, I didn't know much about diseases or what medications to use and I put Betafix (watered down version of Melafix) in a tank that had sick fish and so many people told me to take them out of the water ASAP because they had problems with it also. It can burn their labrinth muscle so I freaked and took them out immediately.

Pet stores will sell anything and usually pet store employees don't know what they're talking about, so I never trust them. When I first started researching bettas online a website said that you should be ready for anything and make sure you have medication handy because your fish will likely get sick. I thought to myself, yeah right, mine will be fine.lol I should've listened to that person because I would've saved myself a lot of time and money if I had everything there. So one day I had free time and looked up all the different diseases, the simptoms of each of them etc so I know what to look for. Google is a VERY good thing. :P
Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #8 
bluepillow

The dumdum at Petsmart tried to sell me expired flakes for a betta and told me the little soup container "tank" was PERFECT for a betta! Yeah ok.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah...don't trust them.lol I don't get why they don't research the fish they're trying to sell, it's not that hard. They even sell books about bettas so on their free time can't they just read that? *rolls eyes*
Old 05-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #10 
bluepillow

Yeah it's all about profit. Well thank you for your help I hope he heals quick =]