Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #1 
LotusRuin

So...what's this thing called Velvet like?

I am so horrified of my fish contracting diseases, which is why I am ~constantly~ looking for symptoms.

Which brings me to my concern about velvet.

I looked through the diseases and emergencies sections already and saw the most textbook, perfect example of -Advanced- Velvet...but, I'm wondering what the beginning stages look like.

I look at my fish and see gold coloring on the base of their pec fins, and around their bellies, but not over the span of their bodies. What concerns me is the random 2 specks of gold, and they're just little dots of what looks like pure gold color, that are appearing on my crowntail.

I'm wondering if it's just the change in color, or if he's got something.

Anyone have answers/input?
LotusRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Does he have clamped fins? Scratching against anything? Has he lost his appetite?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 
LotusRuin

None of the above, which is why I'm pretty sure it's just coloring! He mostly stays in one area of the tank [next to the divider, and right at the front where I can see him] which has like 2 plants and a castle [he had ruins but showed no interest in hiding in them. the ruins took up the majority of the space] and he doesn't seem to be itching on them at all since he stays in the open space.

I'm gonna say it's definitely not velvet [which seems to be a popular topic recently!]
With velvet, there's gold or rust colored specks -all over- the body, and Yuuki said in another thread that it looked sandy[great description!]. The fish would be rubbing their body on everything because velvet makes them itchy. Their fins would be clamped, and they probably wouldn't eat, either!
LotusRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

It could be his color. I have a betta, King, that has a rusty coloring all over him.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
velvet or color