Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #1 
Twitch

Got Myself a VT Betta

I went to Petsmart and found a beautiful male VT. He is going into a 2.5 gallon tank with natural colored gravel and a live java fern. I plan on adding another plant or two. Pictures to come once I have everything set up.

Now, if I have a problem (lots of light coming into the room) with algae, is there a cleaner that would be comfortable in a 2.5 gallon?

For food I got some betta pellets but I also have a pack of frozen bloodworms. How often should I feed him with each?

Last edited by Twitch; 05-13-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #2 
xxabc

Lots of plants are good. A nice, planted (can be fake or live) / crowded-ish tank is great.

I never go towards the route of chemicals. It's hardly ever necessary... in the same sense that I don't ever take medications for headaches. Although it could help, I don't like the idea. To prevent algae, just put a background on his tank, if you want. Or perhaps close the curtains - something like a physical barrier. Or, if you don't want that, clean. Clean, clean, scrub, scrub, it's really not that bad. Some algae looks perfectly natural and fine! (Algae is hardly ever harmful...well, the green algae isn't harmful.) If you REALLY want to use chemicals, then there should be something.

Pellets: I feed mine 4-6 pellets daily. 2 each meal, or 3 each meal, whatever. No need to be entirely strict. Bloodworms are treats, so I feed those one a week (and once during that day). Maybe two times a week can be okay.

Remember, their stomach is as big as one of their eyes.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 
Sarada

What are bloodworms? Sound tasty :S
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #4 
Twitch

Sorry, I meant a cleaner fish or invert, not chemicals.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #5 
xxabc

Oh, hahaha. Yes, there are definitely fish/inverts out there, but only few that can live up to the name of an "algae-eater." And don't go blind and buy something, do heavy research beforehand... (of course).

Now, In a 2.5 gallon ... I don't recommend anything. I would stick with manual labor. I wouldn't want to push the bioload too far.

Fish that small, like otos, need to be in groups I think. So that's out - We're not going to push the bioload here. That's worse than having an algae breakout since we are adding more things that poop.

Only nerite snails live up to the name of algae eating ... the others, like mystery snails...not so much. And they can poop. Like crazy.

Shrimp don't live up to the name. Except maybe amano, but i'm not sure.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #6 
Twitch

Okay, scrubbing it is! Well he is in his new tank. With a 2.5 gallon, how often should I do water changes? Every day? Every other day? Every 3 days?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #7 
Twitch

Well I'm not sure if it was my water treatment (Amquel +) but the little guy died soon after I put him in. Of course, half the bettas in the store were either skinny/small, had damaged fins, sick, or dying, so I can't say I'm surprised. I talked to one of my managers (I work at Petsmart but had purchased this betta at a different Petsmart) about the other store's bettas and asked if I could return him to our store and exchange him out for one of ours. (our bettas are all well cared for)

So I will be getting a new betta today...and new water treatment.