Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #11 
shmifty5

well a betta that thrives looks magnificent, he/she is full of color and almost never gets ill or dies, like a picture perfect betta, a betta that is living just fine will still have all his colors and as long as he is cared for he won't get ill and he should live until he passes of old age, he probably won't look like a 1st place but he will definately still be a runner up. lol. in fact a neighbour of mine has a betta, its got the standard goldfish bowl with fake plants and no heater, the fish looks ancient, well cared for and full of color, but ancient, like a dragon kind of.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #12 
Heat

Lol what a relief. I guess the lightbulb is a good enough heater. Also, I realized why fungis is attracted to Poseidon's tank: there is a dead plant floating at the bottom. I'm doing a full water change tomorrow to get rid of it.
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #13 
newfishmom

About the Hydor...I have one in a 2 gallon bowl for my Peep. It does ok. Not great. It will only keep the water temp about 3 - 4 degrees higher than room temp. For us that seems to be ok around here. {Kentucky} Her temps stay around 75 to 79 degrees. I really like the one that I bought from wal-Mart better, Tetra Submersible Heater for 2 - 15 gallon. {In my two 5 gallons and one 2.5} It just seemed so big for Peeps bowl. I really like that the Hydor you can put under the rocks and you don't see it, except for the cord. If I lower the water in her bowl the temps will raise just a bit but not much. Not sure about what is going to happen when it is winter around here. We will have to play that by ear. I think the Tetra was around $13.

But....all that being said. My DD has had Bonnie in her room since Christmas in a 1 gallon tank without a heater at all. She leaves the light on all the time. Bonnie seems to be just fine.

Last edited by newfishmom; 05-13-2010 at 10:13 PM.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #14 
ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
im going to get some flak for this, but i live in canada, and my first betta lived completely fine without a heater in a house without indoor heating in the dead of winter. im sure your betta will be fine without a heater in sunny, tropical florida, that is unless your winters drop so low that frost builds up on the tanks walls.

he may not thrive, but he will definately live to old age.

I live in canada too and my betta lived over a year with no heater in a small tank too.......you see what he looked like when i bought him in my avtar.

He was VERY lathargic, tiny, no colour only ever layed around.

I moved him into a 5g heated tank.

This is what he looked like 1 week into his recoup from those living conditions. (and @ his worst he had lost ALLLL his colour)

So yes...they can stay alive....but look what it does to them! :(

P.S
After around a month and a half now this is his what he looks like
Seems pretty simple to me.
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #15 
shmifty5

my fish and my neighbours fish have never looked like yours did, maybe it depends on the fish or the condition that the fish was purchased in, my guy was pretty colorful and stayed pretty active, on the really cold days he did seem to become lethargic but he always sprang back when it warmed up a little, my neighbours guy was pretty banged up when she got her guy, hes still chugging around the tank like some primordial dinosaur but he has more color than my guy did.

in either case i was just saying that heats betta would be fine without a heater, lol.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #16 
ecoprincess

[quote=in either case i was just saying that heats betta would be fine without a heater, lol.[/quote]

I know what you were saying...i am just in the middle of nursing my betta back to health.....and i have the pics to show what cold conditions in a small tank CAN do to a beautiful betta.

SOOO if you have the choice.....im just saying....it should be simple.....care for your betta better and you'll have a healthier happier fish for longer!

Some people dont have the choice....so i love that people do research first....that way they can be better prepared for the proper raising of a beautiful betta boy

:) :)
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #17 
crownie

I have 1.5 gallon tanks and I did have the Hydor heater and honestly it did nothing. My water stays the exact same temp with it and without it. I live in Texas so I do get a lot of heat down here... my tanks stay between 75 and 80 degrees by themselves. My bettas seem to the flourishing. I would just really watch their temp if you decided to go without the heater... sometimes my tanks would get a little colder than I wanted so I'd pop the heater in and heat it up a bit, but it was useless for everyday wear.
crownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #18 
Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownie View Post
I have 1.5 gallon tanks and I did have the Hydor heater and honestly it did nothing. My water stays the exact same temp with it and without it. I live in Texas so I do get a lot of heat down here... my tanks stay between 75 and 80 degrees by themselves. My bettas seem to the flourishing. I would just really watch their temp if you decided to go without the heater... sometimes my tanks would get a little colder than I wanted so I'd pop the heater in and heat it up a bit, but it was useless for everyday wear.
Wow. Well I live in Florida.... I guess I don't need a heater then! ^^
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #19 
Jayy

I live in Florida and i'm going to get a heater just in case
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote