Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #1 
s3kshun62

Algae troubles

So I've got a bit of an algae problem in my tanks, its green algae. The tanks are 2.5 gal, and I dont know if I should stick another fish in there to help clean it out with a betta. Any ideas?
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #2 
Jayy

I'm not sure if you can put anything in a tank that small.Is the tank by a window or something if so you could move it.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #3 
s3kshun62

They are all away from windows. I have live plants in them all and I dont want to do a total blackout.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #4 
Jayy

well someone on here said that algae is a sign of a heathy tank
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #5 
JamieTron

You could either buy some algae eaters to get rid of the algae I would suggest 2 otos or a Siamese algae eater. They bith are very efficient little critters....If you don't wanna try other fish you could buy live plants to reduce your excess nutrients in your tank the plants will use up a lot of them and steal them away of your algae basically ;) You'll have to clean your tank first then add the plants this will help prevent future algal growth. :) Make sure that you feed your plants nutrients though every once and awhile if you don't have many fish in your tank because one or two fish wastes will not be enough to feed the plants constantly.

I have one aquatic fern plant that doesn't need a lot of light in a 2.5 gallon tank and I never have a problem with algae anymore :D I would say a live plant would be your best bet though since your tank is not overly large
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #6 
s3kshun62

Well all my tanks have live plants. The tank that is the worst isnt a betta tank, its my puffer tank that has 2 dwarf puffers and 2 otos. So 2 otos arent cutting it there. Those puffers can be vicious so I dont know if I want to throw a pleco or chinese algae eater in there. The other tanks I can temporarily put one of my otos in to clean up.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #7 
JamieTron

Hrmmmm, that is a problem are your puffers in brackish water or fresh?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #8 
s3kshun62

fresh water
Old 05-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #9 
JamieTron

Have you tried maybe asking someone on the partner forum maybe they have some ideas of what would be best compatible with the puffers perhaps.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #10 
xxabc

I manually clean my algae. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't suggest buying any fish for the 2.5. A snail, MAYBE ... perhaps a nerite snail. Heard they're good little things.

What's wrong with doing a blackout? I've done it before and nothing went wrong. Or just limit the lighting severely.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote