Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #21 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzenga21 View Post
Oh crap, what happened!? I hope everyone is okay - mother, father and babies that were left!

I know nothing at all about Oscar fry - are they self sufficient or do they need parental help to grow until a certain point
Sorry to hear about this and I really hope you get things back to normal very soon!
They can be separated, however, I am a firm believer in letting nature take it's course (except in cases, were my involvement may have caused harm), and was allowing them to raise the brood.. What happen was, I had my friend and her children here unexpectedly (both are "special" needs) and her son managed to climb up on top of the 125 and lost his balance causing the food he had in his hand, as well as, some other stuff that was on the shelf above to fall in the tank .. (At the time, my Dh was replacing a part on her car and I was assisting him and my friend had taken her daughter to the bathroom) We managed to "save" 6 of the fry initially, but unfortunately I think the stress of everything was too much because I found all 6 floating at the top of their tank this morning..
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #22 
Enzenga21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKnight View Post
They can be separated, however, I am a firm believer in letting nature take it's course (except in cases, were my involvement may have caused harm), and was allowing them to raise the brood.. What happen was, I had my friend and her children here unexpectedly (both are "special" needs) and her son managed to climb up on top of the 125 and lost his balance causing the food he had in his hand, as well as, some other stuff that was on the shelf above to fall in the tank .. (At the time, my Dh was replacing a part on her car and I was assisting him and my friend had taken her daughter to the bathroom) We managed to "save" 6 of the fry initially, but unfortunately I think the stress of everything was too much because I found all 6 floating at the top of their tank this morning..
Damn. I'm sorry to hear that.

You've had them how long now and that was the only time they had babies!?

I'm sorry man. I hope they try again for you soon!
Enzenga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #23 
SeaKnight

They are still young ( with each one being at just over one year of age ) and have spawned a total of 4 times in the past 2 months or so (they, as a species, are capable of "breeding" every 2-6 weeks depending on the availability of suitable environmental conditions..) This was their first spawn to make it to the wigglers/fry stage.. I have been told that it can take Several years before a pair even THINKS of spawning, so to have a pair not only Bond but produce what, I believe, would have been a totally successful Spawn, had it not been for the accident, in such a short amount of time is gratifying/encouraging (gives a great sense of accomplishment in that, we must be doing something right)... However, in the same token I will not be heartbroken if they never spawn again.... KWIM???
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #24 
Enzenga21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKnight View Post
They are still young ( with each one being at just over one year of age ) and have spawned a total of 4 times in the past 2 months or so (they, as a species, are capable of "breeding" every 2-6 weeks depending on the availability of suitable environmental conditions..) This was their first spawn to make it to the wigglers/fry stage.. I have been told that it can take Several years before a pair even THINKS of spawning, so to have a pair not only Bond but produce what, I believe, would have been a totally successful Spawn, had it not been for the accident, in such a short amount of time is gratifying/encouraging (gives a great sense of accomplishment in that, we must be doing something right)... However, in the same token I will not be heartbroken if they never spawn again.... KWIM???
Oh, my mistake. I'm not sure why I thought you had them for a long time.

For sure, I'd be proud and happy that I was providing ideal and pristine conditions so much that they attempted to do it so soon and bonded so quickly.

The accident aside, congrats man! I don't know why I thought you had them a long time lol.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #25 
Enzenga21

So I've been having a bad time with these guppy fry.

One died of a deformity.

Then about 10 more randomly died. Fine at night and dead when I woke up in the am.

Now I just had 28 more die. Same thing - randomly. Were fine this am before work and I get home tonight and they are dead.

I have 22 left now. Moved them all into a holding "tank" while I clean their tank really well. They are pictured below.

I'm not sure what the heck is happening. All readings are normal, temp is good, tank is 2.5 gal with air stone on low. They eat fine. No noticeable health issues. Very active. It's strange!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #26 
Enzenga21

Only fry left..
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #27 
Bunnyreader

Hi!

I'm a beginner, and I have a 1.5gal tank. I have 2 swordtails, 1 black tetra and recently I bought a pregnant platy. Because I didn't know how long she had been pregnant I bought her a 2-way breeder. I took out the division of it, cus I felt sad about leaving her in such a small space for unknown time. Yesterday I had to take out the black tetra on a separate tank because I found out it had ich. SO I decided to wash the tank completely and make a 100% water change to avoid the other fish gettiing ich too. While I washed the tank I put them on another recepient. My pregnant platy jumped out of the water while I was away. I came back on time (fortunately she was still alive), and put her back into the water. Then I set up the tank again, arranged their plants, used Tetra aquasafe plus, and Tetra EasyBalance plus. I put the back the swrodtails into the tank, and then I placed the breeder in the tank, and put the Platy in it.

Today in the morning when I came in, there was a jelly-like thing on the corner of the breeder with tiny white spots. A friend says those are her eggs, but I have read platies are livebearers. Did my platy have an abortion?

After this I put in the breeder's division in case they are really eggs from which the fries can be born, and also in case she drops anything else. I don't know whether I rather put her out of the breeder or what. She still has a tiny white spot between her anal fins (which I have read it's a symptom of pregancy), though it is smaller than before.

Here you may see the pics of the thing she dropped

Fishy Tank Photos by bunnyreader | Photobucket
Bunnyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #28 
Enzenga21

Here are a couple pics of some of the fry I think are cool...
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #29 
Enzenga21

Some more. Sorry so blurry!
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #30 
Enzenga21

This picture shows the main color of the rest of the fry. Hopefully they will color up as they age!
Attached Images

Tags
community tank, live bearer, plants