Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #1 
Cyphus

Sick female betta fish!!!!! Please help!!!

2 wks ago:
Smokey (the female betta fish) lived in a community tank with 2 other males in a 10 gallon tank (they were separated with plastic mesh). This tank has a heater/filter, set to about 82'F temperature.
I noticed that Smokey was getting finrot, about 1/4 of her tail was missing. The finrot looked jagged, not an "even" disappearance of her tail. I've been reading online that the best remedy was more frequent W/Cs. I already was doing 2/3rd (66%) water changes every 3 days in the 10g tank, but I changed my habit to changing 75% of the water every 3 days:

1 week ago:
In spite of the increased W/Cs, her tail kept getting shorter~ about 1/2 of her tail was missing. I decided to isolate her in a 1.5g unfiltered/unheated tank. As bettafix was the only medication i had (and it claimed to help heal fins), I used it at half-dose in her tank.

2 days ago:
She stopped eating, and laid-around @ the bottom of the tank: She shows no interest in the presoaked-pellets that I drop in her tank. Her fins are cramped up, and I can't tell if the finrot is progressing or not:

1 day ago:
I decided to put her back in the tank, maybe she was depressed and missed the company of her "brother" fish...... She's still moping/not eating.

Can anyone help? :(
Cyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #2 
Cyphus

I forgot to add:

Her poop is a light-yellow/green colour............. Is this unusual????? I thought it might have had something to do with her diet, but its been a week since she's had any cooked pea. I thought bettapoop was usually black/drkbrown
Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #3 
Cyphus

It appears that she has dropsy as well now~ I've quarantined her again, and have done a 75% W/C for both tanks. I have added a 10W heater to her tank, and am now treating her with Mardel's Maracyn Two and aquarium salt. I can only hope for the best!! :(
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #4 
Cyphus

I'd try to feed her peas, but she hasn't shown any interest in food for the past 2 days.. I am no sure what else I can do :( Poor girl..
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your fish! Unfortunately dropsy can't be cured. All you can do is keep her in clean water and keep her as comfortable as possible.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #6 
Cyphus

May 14, between 6-7am: Smokey passed away early this morning~ Swim freely, little girl. I will miss you :(
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #8 
JamieTron

RIP little one
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote