Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #1 
Twjones87

laying on the gravel

I noticed late last night that Archimedes was laying on the bottom of his vase. He has been going to the surface, and then strait to the bottom again. What can be wrong? I have changed the water like I am supposed to, and havent overfed him. His 10 gal tank isnt quite ready yet, could it be he is tired of the vase? Any help is appreciated.
Twjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twjones87 View Post
I noticed late last night that Archimedes was laying on the bottom of his vase. He has been going to the surface, and then strait to the bottom again. What can be wrong? I have changed the water like I am supposed to, and havent overfed him. His 10 gal tank isnt quite ready yet, could it be he is tired of the vase? Any help is appreciated.

Bettas are tropical fish that need temps between 78 and 82 degrees F . Am doubtful that vase has a heater ,and it is possible that the fish is in water too cool.
Were it me,and the ten gal tank had a heater and filter, I would move the fish to the ten gal tank and perform 2 gal water changes every couple days until the tank has cycled.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #3 
LoneHowler

I notice my betta often does this at night to sleep, often he'll rest on the big leafy plant. if he's active during the day it might not be a problem
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 AM   #4 
Twjones87

I have a thermometer in the vase, and the temp stays right around 78. I dont have a/c so it gets pretty warm in my room, even at night. I thought his water might be cold, but theres gotta be something else. thanks

he was like that all day too...only came to the top for air, and to feed....

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-14-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #5 
Elsch

it's possible he could simply be bored in the vase. but you know your fish better than us, so if you feel that something is wrong, then it could be. I would wait and see how he does in the 10 gal though.
Elsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How much and how often are the water changes, how big or how many gallon is the vase, any additives used?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #7 
Twjones87

It is a 1 gal vase, and i have been changing the water everyday, was one day I wasnt home, but it got changed as soon as I got back. I have a feeling he is just bored, since I took his cheap plastic plant out, all he has to play with is a floating thermometer..lol...I am going to just see how he does in the bigger house for awhile.......I know it isnt related to care, but will using live plants be better? thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's good that you're cleaning it everyday. You can do 100% water changes every other day for a 1G though so you could cut back a little if you wanted to. Some bettas get extremely stressed out when you do water changes and have to constantly take them out. So, this could be your problem. The only thing that would help him is getting a bigger tank so you don't have to keep taking him out everyday or every other day. There's a 5G at Walmart for $30 that comes with everything. You can cycle the tank and do 50% or 30% water changes once a week and you never have to take him out. It's something to think about at least.

Also, if bettas are left with too much space they become very uncomfortable and unsafe. They need lots of hiding places. If you got a 5G you could fill it up with all kinds of live plants and even get a snail or frog(s) to keep him company. Some don't like the company and some do, so you'd have to make sure to watch what he does. You might have to bring them back if he starts attacking the snail or frog(s).
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #9 
Twjones87

I have a 10 gal aquarium I am tryign to get setup so it can cycle. Just gotta get some kind of plants, and a few hiding places. Going to Lowes this afternoon so going to look for some pots to use. I have seen some live plants at the pet store, they say you just drop em in and they will grow within a week or two...would those be a good idea? thanks

Also I will start doing 2 day water changes...thanks again
Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's great. Just make sure you heavily plant it. I'm not sure about the live plants...I have fake ones.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote