Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #1 
colovergirl

Help me Please! The pet store isn't any help.

Hello everyone me and my family are new to betta fish keeping, we have a gold fish but wanted something different/better. My son fell in luv when he saw the bettas at the pet store so we picked up what the lady said we needed. ( 1gal tank no bigger per fish or it will stress the fish out so we got a 2.5gal, she said that we didn't need a filter but we picked one up any way, and fish food) we picked out three bettas 1 male, 2 females (scence there said to get along ok), got a divider and went home. The next day the bigger female was attacking the smaller one so we took her back to the store. Would have kept her if we had another small tank. Its been a month scence then and two days ago my husband noticed that are male was laying on the floor of the tank not really moving a few mins latter he was gone. We changed the tank and took my son to pick out another fishy. We brought him and put him in the tank, he must be happy I think because I get home from work and he's started a bubblenest up by the filter. I still need to get a tank heater and a thermastate considering the lady said nothing about a sertin temp being needed.

Sorry so long but if any advice would be helpful. I do plain on puting them both into a ten gallon tank once we get settled into are new home but for now would a 2.5gal be ok? And even with a filter should I still changed the water 2-3 times a week?
colovergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #2 
beta novice

i reccomend cleaning it the 2-3 times a week umm dont listen to the people at the fish store about beta fish i am taking it from advice they specialize in all kinds of fish there not experts on beta's
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #3 
Heat

A 2.5 gallon is okay~ some people even get 10gallons! The more space, the better. The reason your fishies are sick are because pet stores have pretty bad filters. I got my fishie two days ago and he cause Shinny from the dirty water T_T Its when they hover in the water, swimming in place. But if your fish gets sick, then just change out the water.
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #4 
Jayy

did you have the females in the same tank? if you did you needed a least 4 and a 10gal with lots of plants as for the dividing tank that is great for the male just make sure you have a heater
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #5 
colovergirl

I've begone to notice that I shouldn't listen to them at the pet stores beta novice it was from their advice and lack of knolage that we lost a really gorgice fish. But then again we didn't really look to far into keeping a beta so it's are fault as well. Can you really put a beta into a 10 gallon tank without stressen it out? If that was the case then that is what they would be in right now instead of the tiny tank there in now. I'm trying to put some picks on here if I can figure it out.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #6 
beta novice

i am planning on putting my first beta in a ten gallon tank
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #7 
colovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
did you have the females in the same tank? if you did you needed a least 4 and a 10gal with lots of plants as for the dividing tank that is great for the male just make sure you have a heater
yes we did have them together and we asked the lady if they would be ok in that little of a space because we told here what were going to do. She said yeah no prob. Never again will I listen to there advice.
I still have to get a heater for the 2.5 gal tank. Now if I had known in the beginning that I could put them into a 10gal tank I have everything for that: the heater, filter, theremastates, decorations. All I would have needed was the dividing wall.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #8 
colovergirl

This is are 2.5 gal tank.

This is his bubblenest.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #9 
Jayy

a divided 2.5gal is too small for a fish take the divider out and get another tank for the female
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #10 
xxabc

Sorry, I can't see the pictures - can you re upload it?

A male and a female together for an extended amountn of time isn't recommended - fighting can occur. Females can be just as aggressive as males. If you want both of them in a 10 gallon, you should divide it in two parts, but you seem to have established that.

Yes, you definitely have betta in 10 gallons. But - the thing is, it should be well planted. I really do mean lots and lots of plants. Bettas tend to not like large open space.

Thermometer is suggested. Temperature should be 77-80F.

You can have both in a divided 2.5 gallon if you want, but this should only be temporary. Do more water changes to keep ammonia levels down since there are now two fish, but the schedule above seems good.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote