Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #1 
Cyphus

I just got a new betta fish now. (a GIANT DT!) But in your opinion.. was it too soon?

TLDR: one of my bettas (a female) just died, was it too soon to replace her with a (possible) giant male DT? What are the specifications for a giant betta? How large do they have to be, to qualify for that distinction?

Smokey (a steelblue VT? female) had passed away 48hrs ago...... and today, on a trip to a LPS, I saw the first DT betta irl!!!!!!! (I was pretty excited!!!) This petstore had at least 2 DTs, but this green guy looked much bigger than any of the other bettas on the shelf!!

I am excited! But....... am also greatly saddened at the loss of Smokey...... She was my favourite betta, she was a fantastic jumper and definitely had such a unique/cute personality!!!!! She was with me for 7 mths and succummed to her illness in a matter of days :S Can finrot automatically = dropsy within 2 wks? I didn't rly have time to even combat the finrot :( I feel extremely guilty.. I literally watched her disintegrate in front of my eyes :*( I would never wish such a torturous/elongated death on any living creature!!!! Anyway..

Do you think it was too soon to "replace" her? I don't think it was so much of a replacement as it was to further my love of bettafish.......... @_@ But then again...... I tend to make many spontaneous decisions w/o thinking twice about it. However, I am responsible enough to try to take care of my wetfriends though!!!!

What are the specifications for a GIANT betta anyway? How large do they have to be, to qualify for that distinction?
Cyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #2 
JKfish

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, king bettas require at least a five gallon tank, because they are larger. Even if the betta your looking at isn't a king, if he's still significantly larger than other bettas, you might want to house him like you would a king betta.

I'm sorry that you lost Smokey :( As for if it's too soon, that's something that is more for you to decide. Some people have to wait months before they feel ready to get a new pet, others only need weeks, or even days. If you feel you'd be able to get the betta and not feel too many pangs of sadness, then it probably isn't too early.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #3 
beta novice

i am sorry also :( but you got another beta its cool i would love to see pics of it
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

A "King" betta is a giant plakat betta, so I doubt your DT is a giant. Bettas can get up to 3 inches not including the tail. "King" bettas can be almost double that size. I'm sorry about your loss.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #5 
Cyphus

@ JKfish & BettaXFishxCrazy:

I've looked more carefully at him, and ya know.. maybe he isn't a giant, lol~ From a bird's eye perspective, his body (not incl tail) length is about the same as my other lil guys. This guy has a double-tail, & seems to have a thicker body though.

@betanovice: I will be posting pictures soon! ^__^

Should DT's 2 tails split at the base of the body? It appears that the Green Giant's tail splits about 5mm away from his body~

@ everyone: thx for your condolences! I will never forget Smokey, she really was an entertainer
Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #6 
Cyphus

http://www.giantbettasworld.com/inde...642998&Ntype=1
Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #7 
beta novice

goodie those are some nice beta's
Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #8 
Jayy

wow those bettas looked stunning, but I hate when they take them out of water to measure them UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #9 
beta novice

me too