Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #1 
1fish2fish

Alright.. more "newbie" questions...

Its getting down to the wire and I'm still feeling unprepared for my spawn. I'm shooting for late June, that way the fry will be about a month and a half old before I have to start heading back to school (after that my Mom will be primary caregiver... its half her spawn too!).

I wanted to do it sooner but it looks like I might have to go to Miami for two weeks. I don't want to have to leave baby fry for two weeks since my mom is a major newbie to fish.. I'd rather they be older and more stable.

So here's what I have so far:
Sid and Nancy.. the proud parents to be
10 gallon tank (with a crack that I'll be fixing) to use for the spawn
IAL to make IAL extract to tint the water.
Styrofoam cup for the bubble nest.
1 gallon jar to put the female in before releasing her.

I just ordered some Java Moss for the spawning tank and for the jars (if I have enough). I'll also be getting a 50w heater. I'm still deciding what to use for jars.

So here are some questions:
At what time should I remove the male from the tank? (Once the fry start free swimming?)

Is a brine shrimp hatchery an easy thing to manage?

Filter for the spawning tank? Y/N? (I would DIY a sponge filter)

At what age should I move the fry to a larger grow out tank? (If there are enough fry that a 10 gal is too small that is)

Would shining a regular lamp over the tank work fine instead of getting a tank light? (with a daylight cfl for the plants)

I have more but I can't think of them now and my cat is feeling neglected and is laying on my keyboard. I'll think of more later.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 05-14-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: cat trying to type.. doesn't spell so good LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I use a 10g full to the top for spawn and keep the temp at 80F and crammed pack with aquatic plants, I use floating plant water lettuce for the nest, no filtration, lots of snails- pond, ramshorn, trumpet to help with infusoria development a great first fry food along with all the other microcritters from the plants in an aged aquarium.
I condition both breeders with lots of live food and my homemade food, I put both in the spawning tank at the same time and will get spawn within 1-6 hours, once completed I remove the female, within 24-28 hours most of the eggs have hatched at 80F, I found too high of temp the egg develop too fast and I get lots of fallers, I keep the lights on 24h until I remove the male, once free swimming I remove the male and will cover the tank with a plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid for when the labyrinth organ develops and turn the light off at night,
I watch the fry and as long as their belly looks round I do not add any food for at least the first 3 days after free swimming stage, once I do start adding live foods I will make daily 50% water changes.
I feed NHBBS, white worms for the first week or so then I add daphnia to the mix and supplemented BBS, I feed 3 times per day.
BBS are pretty easy to hatch but I suggest that you give it a try before you spawn and to get your other cultures growing too...depending on what you plan to feed/culture it can be fed to the breeders as part of conditioning, the healthier and strong the breeder the healthier and stronger the eggs/wigglers/fry with less fallers with good growth and development.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

So do you leave the fry in the 10 gallon or do you move them to a larger grow out tank?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I move them to other grow-out tanks as they grow and when I see the size difference in them. I have found that you will get all different sizes and growth rates in the fry.....so I try to keep the bigger ones all together and smaller ones together in different grow-out tanks.
I use different size tanks from 10g-75g
I try to keep them together as long as I can and so far I have been able to keep up to 6 male together in a very heavy planted 75g tank along with 20 or so females for a year before I have any fighting/aggression, however, if I remove a male for breeding I can't put him back in with the group.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote