Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #11 
xxabc

I'd agree. Don't even bother with a suitcase. I don't even let my teddy bear in it. Too rough.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #12 
LoneHowler

I just got a letter from CATSA the Canadian version of TSA. fish are ok but they are subject to the 100 ml container limit.

So to travel with your Betta they have to travel in one of those tiny store cups :(

a copy of the letter is below

Dear Ms. Martin,

On behalf of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA), we thank you for your e-mail dated May 17, 2010, voicing your enquiry about the transport of a fish.

After checking with regulatory affairs here, fish can be transported. However, the container transporting the fish in water is subject to the 100mL liquids, aerosols and gels restrictions. Water for transporting a fish is not exempt. I hope that answers your question!

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require additional information.

Sincerely,

Client Satisfaction / Satisfaction des clients
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) /
Administration canadienne de la sûreté du transport aérien (ACSTA)
Toll free 1-888-294-2202 (8:30-17:00 ET)
Facsimile / télécopieur: 613-949-2725
www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca

LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

Either way the fish wouldn't have much water. When shipping a betta you only provide enough water to cover it when the bag is standing up and on its side. Air is the important thing.

100ml is less than half a cup of water. Personally I would rather ship the fish in a little more water than that. Unless you have a very narrow bag/cup (like the 3" wide bags) 100ml will hardly cover the fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #14 
Sbanana7

Just got off the phone with TSA, thought I'd share what I learned with you all!!!

There is absolutely no problem with carrying live fish on the airplane, and they do not have to be in 3 oz of water BECAUSE (get this...such a simple concept that didn't even cross my mind) fish cannot live in chemicals (duh!)!!!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

now my last question in view of the above:
Tupperware containers should be fine, right? As long as mom opens them a few times in transit to make sure they're getting air?
Sbanana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

Yeah they'll be fine in that. Bags are better because the fish has soft sides to hit against should it get jostled around but I doubt you have time to order shipping bags LOL

I wonder if that rule applies if your bringing fish back from another country. I bet you have to still go through a transshipper. It would be really nice if you could go to Thailand and buy bettas and bring them back on the plane with you LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #16 
Sbanana7

I actually did pick up some bags from my local pet store, they're the larger thicker size that are used for the saltwater fish..not sure how or if they compare to shipping bags?

Would be great if we could bring them back with us in cabin from that part of the world! (Especially since my parents are headed there on vacation next month!! Can you imagine the beauties they could smuggle home?!!)
Sbanana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #17 
CodeRed

I can't believe they allow this o-o I really would've thought they'd say no. :D I'm glad it works out, though! I know I'd be terrified if I had to ship mine.... I don't know what I'd do. I'd be too scared to ship them D: I'm really, really glad it's all worked out, though. Good luck!!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

The bags you have should work fine. Just put enough water in there to cover the fish well and close it up so there is a lot of air in there and tie or rubberband it closed.

(FYI.. don't blow air into the bag. Most people know that but I was surprised when someone asked me if you could fill the bag by blowing air into it )
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #19 
Elsch

wow I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end. I wish safe travels for your family and betta!
Elsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #20 
LoneHowler

Yeah I'll have to keep pestering the Canadian transport athority
however I finaly got a reply from TSA

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.
Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller.* All of these must be placed in one, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag and must fit comfortably in the bag (3-1-1 rule).*
There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish.* If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive.* In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. *The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic container that is spill proof.* This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.*
However, regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft.* Therefore, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like live fish into the secured area of the airport.*
Also, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish.* For the most current information on TSA security screening procedures, visit our website at www.tsa.gov.
We hope this information is helpful.
TSA Contact Center
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote