Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #1 
BeautifulBettaFish

Gravel-sand-empty bottom ...

What do you all have in the bottom of your tanks & why ? oh and what colors ?
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #2 
McAttack

My 33gal tank has small gravel, light beige. It's a community tank, went with a light color cause I thought it would look real good. my new 5gal that I just started for the betta has black sand. I would've gone for gravel, but basically I just wanted a uniform dark color and it turned out I found sand that color. Reason I went to a dark color was that I read somewhere that white substrate is bleached to achieve the color, and it can cause some fish to lose their vibrant colors, which I think is what's happened to my golden gourami. When I got him a year ago he was very colorful. After a month, he faded slightly. Otherwise healthy, but just not as beautiful as when I picked him. I think I might change the substrate this summer to a darker color.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #3 
ecoprincess

I have a mix of blue rocks and river rocks....the blue was originally meant to compliment and bring out the colour of my blue betta.......

i like the natural look of a tank so i mixed it in with small river rocks. :)

I LOVE the way sand looks but heard it was kinda hard to clean...-shrugs-
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

My two of my 10 gallons have gravel. One has alternating tan, blue/burgundy/green, then tan again, the other is going to have entirely black gravel. My other 10 gallon has black eco complete. I think a black substrate really makes the fish pop.. no matter what color.

My divided 6 gallon has tan sand with a gravel cap. The gravel is rust/black/brown colored. My 4 gallon has more tan gravel. My 2 and 3 gallon tanks have the same blue/green/burgundy gravel as one of my 10s. All my quarantine/hospital/temporary tanks are bare bottom for easy clean up.

I prefer gravel or eco-complete for my tanks, sand IMO is a p.i.t.a. I do like the bare bottom for tanks that either 1) aren't going to be used permanently or 2) being used as a hospital/quarantine tank because it helps me to do water changes quickly (since these tanks are usually 1 or 2 gallons).

Like most other people.. my breeding/fry tanks are bare bottom.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #5 
Starbright

Gravel is amazing for a cycled tank. However, it's such a hassle to clean in a small aquarium. I have black gravel in my 2.5 and 2 gallon tanks (takes forever to clean), blue gravel in my 10 gallon, and black rocks in my 1 gallon.

Hands down, my 1 gallon with rocks wins. It's so easy to clean :)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #6 
LoneHowler

I went from gravel to course sand, and frankly I am far happier with the sand its something between light tan and cream, I wanted something darker more tanish but that was all I could find its ether white tones, vibrant colors not found in the wild or black
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #7 
BeautifulBettaFish

? so if you have a bare bottom its easiest to keep clean ,but dosnt look good
and if you use glass for the bottom (like marbles or those glass things you can buy) the glass is easier to clean than the gravel ? ...and is it the smaller the gravel size the harder it is to clean ? I heard sand clogs filters so i dont want to use sand .
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #8 
McAttack

For those of you using marbles and larger stones, how is it for live plants, if you have any?
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #9 
Welsh

I have sand in my 12 gallon, I changed it from silver gravel a couple of weeks ago and it does look really nice also natural but its such a nuisance to keep clean and difficult when it comes to a water change. In my 2.4 i'm thinking I might put some black gravel since my new betta is cellophane he will need a colour that is going to make him stand out =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #10 
BeautifulBettaFish

i guess if you are aiming for a sort of eco system small gravel is best ?