Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #1 
Trouble

Question Advice on plants, decorations, fish, etc.

> I have a Betta fish that I am planning to move to a 10-gallon tank. I currently do not have any plants, gravel, filter, etc. for him, and was wondering what I should get--how many plants, what kind, etc.
> I have a heater that heats up to 15-gal., so I'm good there...
> He will only eat frozen bloodworms, so is that an okay diet, or should I be trying to find something else for my fussy Fiji-Foo?
> Can I put other tropical fish with him? If so, what is a good choice?
> Is it okay to move him while he has fin rot, or should I get that cleared up first? What is good to use for that?
Attached Images

Last edited by Trouble; 05-17-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #2 
s3kshun62

Im a big fan of real plants. The look of them is just so much better than plastic or silk. What kind and how many are your choice. Heavily planted is what I prefer. Any kind of gravel will do just fine. The color is your choice. With the filter....you could find a nice hanging power filter, or a sponge filter.

Try and get him to eat betta pellets as well. They'll fill in the nutrients the blood worms wont.

A calm bottom dwelling fish is best, but it may be hard to find a good one that doesnt need to be in a group. Tetra's possibly?
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #3 
Trouble

Sorry...I can't downsize my photo! Aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #4 
McAttack

Fix the fin rot first, no use bringing it over to a new "clean" tank. Plants depends on how much light you have, and if your aquarium is tall or long. Long tanks are shallower, so the light travels less distance, so that's good. Dark plants need less light, anubis needs low-med and it's a very nice plant.

As for gravel, use anything that isn't rough. Darker colours make the fish pop out more.

And finally for your SLR, try an aperture of 8-10, ISO 400-800, and since this little guy is a slow mover then a speed of 1/30 should give you good results. Obviously depends on the lens you're using.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #5 
BeautifulBettaFish

somewhere on here i read something about a salt bath for fin rot...i would tend to think moving him into a cleaner tank would be helpful to fin rot ? but i am learning too :) if you want live plants i think small gravel is best ...the filter i think bettas dont like the current so it needs to be a gentle flow....i am setting up a 20 gallon and learing myself :)
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #6 
Trouble

Smile

Hey, thanks guys! I'll certainly look around. I'm a bit of a rookie, so I need as much advice as I can get!
Oh, and thanks for the camera tips, McAttack! I got my camera in October, so I'm still figuring things out... I have a Canon 18-55 mm lens.
The 10-gallon tank is long... Oh, I'm not sure if the light works...if it doesn't, how can I replace it? Do I buy a little lamp or something?
(Wow...I'm beginning to think this could get expensive!)

Last edited by Trouble; 05-17-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #7 
McAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Hey, thanks guys! I'll certainly look around. I'm a bit of a rookie, so I need as much advice as I can get!
Oh, and thanks for the camera tips, McAttack! I got my camera in October, so I'm still figuring things out... I have a Canon 18-55 mm lens.
no prob. Looks like you had the paerture pretty low cause the focus was only on one part of the fish. If you want a good picture, put your camera on a tripod, ready, focused, then put a mirror near the tank. Your betta should flare up and stay in a single spot, making it easier for you.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #8 
Trouble

Thumbs up

Ha,ha. Thanks McAttack!
The only problem...Fiji-Foo won't flare up at a mirror! He's actually scared of his reflection. Ah well, I love him... I wonder if it could be because he's young...